Police Blotter: Man’s car found in pond; maple syrup found in gas tank

Elevator Shutdown 

The Athens Fire Department was alerted about a resident of Heritage Commons being stuck in an elevator between the third and second floors.

AFD used a hydraulic bypass valve to lower the elevator to the ground floor. The resident was let out of the elevator, and the elevator system was turned off for further inspection. 

Traffic Stop Showdown 

As officers from the Athens Police Department were conducting a traffic stop, the driver of the stopped car fled the vehicle on foot toward the Laurels of Athens on Columbus Circle. 

While officers were searching for the driver, they heard supposed gunshots in the area behind the Laurels of Athens. The Ohio State Highway Air Unit was called in and located the driver in the field behind the Laurels. The suspect was taken into custody without any outstanding warrants from the Athens Municipal Court and Adult Parole Authority. An investigation for further charges is possible. 

Garage Band 

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to a suspicious activity complaint in Jacksonville. The complaint was directed toward suspicious people making noise in a garage. Deputies patrolled the area but found no such activity. 

Suspicious Stroller 

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to a suspicious person call in The Plains. The call was directed toward a man wearing a camouflage jacket walking with a knife and pushing a baby stroller. Deputies located the man, but he wasn’t carrying a knife nor pushing a baby stroller. The man voluntarily provided identification and was released. 

Homemade submarine 

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to State Route 691 for a report of a crashed car in a pond. The driver was uninjured and seemed to back his car into the pond while he was trying to turn around. A tow truck was called, and the driver was given a ride home. 

Maple Syrup Mishap 

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to Amesville, in regards to a criminal mischief complaint. The caller alleged his ex-girlfriend poured maple syrup in his mother’s car’s gas tank. The vehicle was disabled until more gasoline was added.

@ritchey_grant 

gr619615@ohio.edu