Breast Cancer Awareness Month offers education, activism

October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, a time of year to honor both those who lost their fight to breast cancer, and those who beat it.

Breast Cancer Awareness Month was founded in 1985. It is a time to spread awareness of breast cancer to as many people as possible in the most comfortable way possible through fundraisers, public speaking, local and global events and more. 

“Over 40,000 women in the United States will die every year from breast cancer, which is what Komen is trying to change,” Alyssa Petrella, director of development at Susan G. Komen Columbus, said. “We started out by building awareness and letting women know how to get screenings and educate them.”

Susan G. Komen is a global organization that was founded in 1982 by Nancy Brinker, in honor of her sister. Based on Komen’s website, the organization has invested more than $2.9 billion in groundbreaking research, community health outreach, advocacy and programs in more than 60 countries. 

Komen celebrates the month of October by partnering with different vendors. For example, Komen is partnering with Topgolf this year, and a portion of the proceeds spent at the restaurant and golfing venue support the work Komen does. Susan G. Komen’s annual Volley for the Cure and Race for the Cure fundraisers are a worldwide success and have been for years. There is even an annual Race for the Cure in Rome, Italy.

“Breast cancer survival rates have improved 6.4% since 1996,” Petrella said. “We are seeing good progress. It can feel like we haven’t made progress or aren’t getting closer to a cure, but we are. Progress is being made.”

Petrella said a large number of women are affected by breast cancer in Southeast Ohio alone, and Komen wants to make sure there is as much available as possible for the Southeast Ohio region and what it is facing.

Donna Stage, a breast cancer survivor from Sugar Grove, Ohio, was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer in January 2017, and will be celebrating what she calls her “cancerversary” in January 2021. According to the National Cancer Institute, an estimated 27% of people in the United States live at least 5 years after being diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer, so Stage feels her story is a huge success. 

Stage does a lot of work with Komen, including helping support women through their journeys with breast cancer.

“I want other women to have better support from the get-go,” Stage said. “It doesn’t have to be the end of their life. Like my doctor told me, you do not have an expiration date on your forehead.”

To Stage, October is important because she does a lot of support work with Komen as it is an opportunity to reach more than the average number of people to discuss the realities of breast cancer. January, however, is her milestone month. She said every time one gets past 36 months of recovery, it is a good sign they will be around for a while.

Stage works for the River Apartments in Athens and has made connections with many Ohio University students, including those who have had loved ones impacted by breast cancer. Stage said the company she works for has supported her and been understanding throughout her whole journey. 

“They put a couch in one of the apartments across from the office for me to rest when I wasn’t feeling well,” Stage said “My employers have made the journey as good as possible and are one of the reasons I’ve been successful.”

Stage said she is also grateful for the support from her husband, who has not missed any of her appointments. Their wedding was in October 2016, just three months before she was diagnosed. Stage said her husband has been her rock and is another reason for her successful journey.

Stage’s diagnosis was considered terminal, so the process was mainly to stop the spread and ease the pain rather than cut the cancer out. She continues to take two types of medications daily, and the only pain she still experiences is side effects from the medications, such as muscle pain, muscle cramping and fatigue. Stage said that in order to cope with the side effects, she offsets them by working out, drinking a lot of water and eating calcium-rich foods. 

Laura Grueser, Southeast Ohio patient navigator at Susan G. Komen Columbus, is an advocate for better health outcomes in rural communities. She said when she receives breast cancer patient referrals, she does her best to assist them with any issues they may be encountering. 

Patients’ issues are most commonly financial. Grueser has an abundance of offerings to help patients in active treatment in any way possible, which can include helping with gas to and from appointments and help with groceries. She also assists in transportation linkage and connecting patients to local help within their communities.

“I’m a part of several coalitions in SE Ohio,” Grueser said in an email. “It can feel like an uphill battle a lot of the time. But, it’s so worth it when I’m able to help a patient get through one of the most difficult fights of their life.”

@hannahnoelburk

hb239417@ohio.edu