From the Editor’s Desk: Celebrating free speech and a free press is now more important than ever

Freedom of speech, as well as freedom of the press, has been a principle of the United States since the Constitution was signed in 1787. A cornerstone of American culture, the protection and celebration of these freedoms is of the utmost importance—Free Speech Week aims to do that.

Raising awareness about the importance of free speech and free press, Free Speech Week takes place during the third week of October. Taking place for 15 years now, the annual event brings recognition to the two parts of the First Amendment but also stresses how these are freedoms for all Americans. 

While most Americans have been afforded the rights of the First Amendment since the Constitution was signed, it’s important now more than ever to stress these freedoms and their importance to all of society. 

Journalism and the free press have been consistently scrutinized and taken for granted over the last four years. While this scrutiny has been going on for longer than that time period, it’s clear to see that the current White House administration as well as a good amount of the American population don’t trust many journalistic institutions or understand why they’re so important.

With the term “fake news” being used to describe credible, world-renowned media outlets as well as a critical lack of media literacy within society, it’s understandable why there’s a layer of distrust and skepticism. Nonetheless, genuine journalism, especially local journalism, isn’t here to push a certain bias or to supply bogus facts. In fact, journalism is truly built on fairness and balance. Yes, there are those outlets that squeeze by and perpetuate a false narrative, but the vast majority of journalism aims to report the facts and purely the facts.

Nonetheless, it’s important for Americans to remember the importance of the free press. In all fairness, the free press is essential to democracy and the well-being of the U.S. The free press is a constant check on the government, corporations, corruption around the world and more. Without the free press, society would be in the dark on important global issues. 

There’s a reason that journalism is considered the invisible fourth estate. It’s fundamental to society, and without it, the American people wouldn’t be as knowledgeable as they are.

Molly Schramm is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University and the editor-in-chief of The Post. Have questions? Email Molly at ms660416@ohio.edu or tweet her @_molly_731.