To construct an affirmative feed, all you need to do is unfollow the accounts that make you feel of lesser value, and follow more of substance. (Photo provided by @wetheurban via Instagram). 

5 feel good, uplifting Instagram accounts to help detox a feed

Everyone knows and talks about how mentally draining and toxic social media can be, especially Instagram, where the sole purpose of the app is to have users post photos that supposedly depict their life. However, as human beings, we are inclined to mainly share the positive parts of it, causing others to have a false and often fake perception of who we are as an existing individual outside of a screen. This leads to many individuals comparing themselves to not only influencers, but their own friends. The questions of why several people’s lives aren’t as fun or aesthetically pleasing as others arise. 

But the truth is, everyone, even the most seemingly perfect influencers, deal with their own daily battles, hardships and insecurities. Though, as one scrolls through their Instagram feed, this can be a hard concept to remember and accept, making the platform an overall degrading app, when instead, it has the ability to be an uplifting space with just a few simple alterations. 

A cleanse can ultimately be beneficial for everyone, especially during the time of prevailing seasonal depression. Encouraging and reassuring quotes can make all of the difference in one’s day, as these posts have the power to motivate people to shift their mindset, be productive and remind themselves of their worth. To construct an affirmative feed, all you need to do is unfollow the accounts that make you feel of lesser value, and follow more of substance. Here are 5 inspirational Instagram handles: 

@wetheurban 

We The Urban is a “Black-owned digital platform celebrating inclusivity, self-love and marginalized voices,” according to the account’s bio. We The Urban posts healing reminders, affirmations their followers might need to hear for the day, reasons to keep going, hard truths and so many more helpful confirmations. When scrolling, having the opportunity to stop, pause and process what the post is trying to genuinely convey and say, can be a breath of fresh air. Although it has been said it is not healthy to go on your phone first thing each morning, for those who do, visit this account first to start off your day on a mindful note. Your mind deserves peace before tackling the day, head on. Additionally, an October healing playlist can be found in the account’s description. 

@goodhumansonly

Similar to We The Urban, this one has a lot of reminders--some harsher than others--to recall when you may be feeling like an inferior version of yourself. The account’s central goal is to play a small role in reminding those of their worth and also helping them embrace being powerful, independent and strong. 

The creator of the account, @karlialtman, encourages her followers to be caring, empathetic, forgiving and most importantly, loving. She stresses the importance of, yes, loving others, but most importantly loving and prioritizing yourself, because at the end of the day, all you have is you, so you better be proud of who you are-- and if you’re not, take the time to get there. Start by visiting Good Humans Only and finding a post that resonates with you. Growth must begin somewhere. You can even sign up to receive a free daily text for an emotional boost from the account.

View this post on Instagram

idk who needs to hear this today but here you go

A post shared by good humans only (@goodhumansonly) on

@werenotreallystrangers

We’re Not Really Strangers is an account that challenges the way we love ourselves and our romantic partners, crushes or even those we have complicated relationships with. Actually, We’re Not Really Strangers is a card game for those who are seeking meaningful connections and those who may be seeking to understand the way they love themselves and others on a deeper level. 

If you’re someone who runs away from their feelings, the game and posts can truly provoke you to become more in touch with them. The account warns that the game and posts may cause feelings to arise, but it is truly a good check to ensure you are accepting the love you deserve, and not the love you think you do. 

@thegoodquote

Simply, this account is all about just what it sounds like: promoting good quotes. It shares positive and motivational quotes while also advocating for mental health and self-development through literature and discussion with all 21 million of its followers. Many of the account’s quotes come from novels, poetry and activists, making the account diverse with reputable sources. The founder of the account, @roxannesvibe, tackles multiple hardships and areas of distress and doesn’t just stick to one topic. 

The quotes come in all different forms of writing styles, making it fit for genuinely everyone. Conclusively, these vast array of quotes have the capacity to remind you of your overall self worth, which is something that should be identified each and every day. In reality, we don’t make this known, oftentimes as a result of a detrimental amount of social media intake. Take this as your sign to detox and add in a quote each day from @thegoodquote. Try even screenshotting some of your favorites and switching up your lock screen each day with a new post from the account. You then are forced to open your phone after inhaling positivity. 

@girlsbuildingempires

Lastly, this account is for all of the ambitious women out there who are striving to make an impact. Girls Building Empires is a motivational and educational account for independent ladies who want to take control of their life and remember they are simply bad ass. 

The account is not only trendy, but it most essentially emphasizes self-love for the mind, body and soul. It's about recognizing your potential, working to meet it, respecting yourself, your boundaries and all around your womanhood. Girls Building Empires helps girls do exactly that: build an empire within themselves and give reminders that dreams and a nourishing lifestyle are attainable. Every evolving woman naturally needs this account and its empowering essence. 

View this post on Instagram

It's all about happiness, babe.

A post shared by GIRLS BUILDING EMPIRES (@girlsbuildingempires) on

@emmadollenmayer

ed569918@ohio.edu