How to make a boo basket

Looking for a way to lift people's spirits this Halloween? Boo baskets are the perfect and most festive random act of kindness for the season. So, what is a boo basket? Essentially, it’s a Halloween basket full of goodies that one anonymously leaves on a neighbor’s front porch. Once one has been "booed," he/she passes it on by creating their own Halloween basket and giving it to another neighbor. 

One should be sure to include instructions with it as there are hundreds of printable versions online accompanied by cute Halloween graphics and some even in the form of catchy poems. Obviously, one can even create their own. Finally, include a sign for the person to hang on their door, so the same house isn’t "booed" twice! The fun doesn’t have to be limited to neighbors. One can also implement this tradition among friends or family members. 

For some people, gift-giving is how they express their care or show appreciation. If you wish to opt-out of the pay it forward aspect, boo baskets are still the perfect seasonal present. Spread some joy by surprising a grandparent or significant other with one.

What makes these baskets incredibly enjoyable to make, is that they are highly customizable and there are no set rules. They can be catered to any age and crafted to fit anyone. Need inspiration? Here are some guidelines and themes to help get the ball rolling: 

Step one: Pick out your carrier.

While it is called a "boo basket," a basket is just one of many options. You can also package your gift in a bucket, a bag or a plastic pumpkin.

Step two: Add candy or a Halloween themed treat. 

Here are some Halloween-themed treat ideas, or if you want to skip the baking and buy fall-themed food instead, check out the following list.

Step three: Top it off with something festive and fun. 

Add Halloween-themed trinkets that can be found at stores such as Dollar Tree, Amazon, Walmart or Target. 

Here are even a few different themed baskets one can construct with ideas on what can be put inside: 

Kid Boo Basket: coloring pages, a small craft, stickers, glowsticks, costume accessory, festive mask 

Adult Boo Basket: fall candle, festive face mask, spooky decor, Halloween mug, Halloween movies 

Dog Boo Basket: dog treats, Halloween dog toy, printed bandana or bow 

Cooking Boo Basket: Include a recipe and all of the ingredients to make it

Movie Boo Basket: Halloween socks, fuzzy blanket, candy, popcorn, Halloween DVD

Chocoholic Boo Basket: Every chocolate lover's dream! Fill it with anything and everything chocolate one can find

There is no right size or price of a boo basket. Although it sounds cliche, it's the thought that counts. If one is balling on a budget, make a simple candy bag, or bake a batch of cookies. One way to creatively package candy is to make "candy hands" by stuffing a transparent glove with candy of your choosing. One can even go to a discount store and pick out something small such as Halloween-themed socks or some spooky decorations. However one decides to craft his/her boo basket, it is sure to spread ghoulish cheer this Halloween. 

@juliana.colant 

jc079419@ohio.edu