Cover art for Taylor Swift's latest album, folklore (Provided by @taylorswift13 on Twitter)

Tunes with Tate: My family reviews folklore by Taylor Swift

If there’s one thing you should know about me, it's that I love Taylor Swift. I’ve been listening to her music since I was 6 years old when “You Belong With Me” was on every radio station. That being said, I was elated when my family agreed to review her eighth studio album, folklore.

Written in quarantine earlier this year, this album came as a surprise to everyone when Swift announced its impending release only one day prior. Fans across the world and even people on her team were shocked. But, with the madness of this year, it was the album no one knew they needed until it was up for presale on iTunes. Released on July 24th, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t obsess over “the 1” and revel in the irony of streaming “august” throughout the entire month of, well, August. 

The self-directed music video for her first single off the album, “cardigan”, has 67 million views. Now, millions of people are predicting how this emotionally captivating product of isolation will sweep the Grammys, some even saying that it’s her best album yet.

In 2014, Swift made her official transition from country to pop music, and it was not subtle by any means. 1989 surpassed Michael Jackson’s Thriller and became the most awarded pop album of all time. However, with folklore, fans have been pleasantly surprised with how this album has more hints of her country past and began wondering if she would start to get back into the genre. It was just commentary from fans for a while, but opinion began transforming into fact when she performed “betty” at the 2020 Academy of Country Music Awards.

Here’s what my family had to say:

Mom: “Taylor Swift music has been in regular rotation in our house for the past 10 years —at least, and I have learned never to doubt that as an artist, she is brilliant. It is not my go-to music by any means, but I have learned to appreciate what she does. folklore is great, simply because it is so unique. It has been interesting to watch the progression of TS’s music through the eyes of Tate, who literally grew up with her. I think she’s going to be around for a little while yet. 9 out of 10.”

Dad:folklore is NTT: Not Typical Taylor. A nice change from the past, and a different style that is much more mellow and somber. 8.3 out of 10.”

Brother: My brother could not be reached for a response due to having no recollection of the whole family listening to the album together. 

Here’s what happened:

Even though he definitely listened to it, when I asked for his thoughts his response was, “What’s folklore.”

Tate Raub is a freshman studying strategic communication at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Tate? Tweet her @tatertot1310.

Tate Raub

Opinion Editor