Ohio University wide receiver, Shane Hooks (#5) attempts to shake Northern Illinois University defense during the home game on Saturday, Oct. 12, 2019.

Football: Shane "Hollywood" Hooks is ready for a star's role

Shane Hooks is so Hollywood. 

During his senior year at Olympia High School in Orlando, Florida, Hooks decided he needed more swag before football practice. To the astonishment of his coaches, he came out sporting a pair of sunglasses under his helmet. Hooks looked like a star that had come straight out of a movie. 

And like most stars, Hooks needed a nickname. 

“I was just messing around in practice, just having fun,” Hooks said. “And then my coach was like ‘you’re so Hollywood. That’s going to be your nickname ... Hollywood.’” 

Shane “Hollywood” Hooks, has the potential to play a lead role in Ohio’s offense. The redshirt sophomore is coming off a season where he was tied for first in receiving touchdowns (5), second in receiving yards (515) and third in catches (26). 

Sporting a 6-foot-4-inch frame, Hooks can go past defenders, or over them. When graduate transfer quarterback Armani Rogers first arrived in Athens, he and Hooks were paired as roommates. Rogers quickly found out his roomie can ball. 

“We talk football a lot,” Rogers said. “We’ve been building chemistry since the day I stepped foot out here.” 

For most of the summer, Hooks couldn’t showcase the growth taken since the end of last season. COVID-19 had postponed the season and due to guidelines, Ohio couldn’t return to the field. 

With his family back in Orlando, Hooks had to find ways to pass the time. He’d watch film, talk to coaches and play UFC against his roommate with his favorite character, Conor McGregor. None of that replaced the thrill of competition — something he learned to love growing up in Florida. 

Hooks is originally from Miami yet went to school in Orlando. Being an athlete from Florida means a lot to him. Growing up, he’d seen many local players go on to play professional and college ball. His high school quarterback was Joe Milton, the current starting quarterback for Michigan. 

But Hooks doesn’t think it’s just the talent that separates the Sunshine State from the other 49, he believes being from Florida grants you an extra gear to outwork the competition. 

“We basically feel like we’re top athletes as well,” Hooks said. “We just got that ... I want to say that grind, that hustle.” 

He’s got the stats, the hustle and the nickname. What else does Hooks need to be a bonafide star at Ohio? There’s a lot of great players out there, but if you don’t look like a great player then the fans might never remember your name. 

That’s not an issue for Hooks. 

When fans watched Hooks last year, they saw him ball in style. Green arm sleeves to match the sleeves on his legs, colorful rubber bands around his wrist and curly twists with green hair dye, made Hooks a hard player to take your eye off of. 

But one new accessory Hooks sported last season was something he had been waiting a lifetime for and it was a golden moment when he got it.

If you’ve ever been to Miami, it’s hard not to spot someone wearing a grill. Hooks had always wanted one and figured it was time to get it. The process, which requires picking the type of gold you want, how many teeth and then sitting with a nasty molding mix in your mouth, was worth it. 

And when Hooks smiled and saw his teeth glisten for the first time, the smile turned more genuine because the wait was over. 

“I was like a little kid with a little present for Christmas, just happy waiting to get it,” Hooks said. 

Hooks also felt like a kid at play when he learned the season was coming back. Last year was a good introduction, but Hooks has quickly shown coaches throughout fall camp that the sequel could be even better. 

“He’s (Hooks) grown up daily,” Bobcats offensive coordinator Tim Albin said. “He’s just showing maturity. He’s not a freshman anymore, he’s a three-year player for us and we’re going to rely on him to stretch the field vertically and make some plays in the redzone.” 

Hooks’ first chance to do that this season comes on Nov.4 against the defending Mid-American Conference West division champions Central Michigan. The game will be nationally televised on ESPN in primetime. It’s bound to be one of the biggest games Hooks has ever played in. 

He’s not nervous, though. It’s been a long time coming and these are the moments that Hooks knows he’ll have to deliver in order to leave the legacy that he wants at Ohio. 

“I have to take advantage of every opportunity that I get on the field,” Hooks said.

When Hooks steps foot on the field, he’s looking to make an impact. He hopes that it helps lead Ohio to victory. The pressure, the bright lights and the big games have always been something he’s wanted to take part in. 

But it’s his time now. The camera’s on him, and Hollywood is ready to put on a show. 

So get your popcorn ready. 

@JL_Kirven 

jk810916@ohio.edu