Ohio University football coach Frank Solich enters the field with the Ohio football team before the game versus Miami on Wednesday, November 6, 2019, at Peden Stadium. (FILE)

OU football players, staff members receiving 4 COVID-19 tests a week

As Ohio University’s football team prepares for the start of the season, the university will be spending $390,000 on testing for football players and staff members.

All players and staff are receiving four COVID-19 tests per week and are also required to wear masks when practicing, lifting or on the sidelines. 

The university is expecting to spend $530,000 on testing over all sports, including football, through Dec. 31. These expenses are eligible for reimbursement through the CARES act, Sara Legarsky, director of athletic communications at OU, said in an email.

There was a unanimous vote to continue forward with this year’s football season, according to a news release from the MAC. The university will follow all guidelines set forward by the MAC and the NCAA, Legarsky said in an email.

Fans will not be able to attend any games or tailgate to follow the MAC, OU and the city of Athens’ requirements.

There has not yet been a decision made about cheerleaders, marching bands or dance teams attending the games. That decision is expected within the next few weeks, Legarsky said in an email.

Even with the risks, Sarah Houpt, a sophomore studying commercial photography, said she plans to try and attend the football games as an effort to go back to the way things were before the pandemic. However, per the guidelines set forward by MAC and the state, there will be no general admission or tailgating at this season’s football games. General admission includes students.

“I personally will try to watch the games,” Jillian Hern, a sophomore studying mathematical statistics, said, “On TV or online, whatever it may be, but I will not be attending any games or viewing parties.” 

All of the football games will be able to be watched on the ESPN family of channels, Legarsky said in an email. The exact channel on which the games will be available has not yet been decided. However, that decision is expected within the next few weeks. 

“Students should keep an eye out on social media at @OhioBobcats, and @OhioFootball, or on OhioBobcats.com,” Legarsky said in an email. “We announce the times and TV information as soon as we have it.” 

@AnnaMillar16

am157219@ohio.edu