‘Our Endless Numbered Days’ was released on March 23, 2004. However, it’s still a fall album staple 16 years later. (Photo provided via @brooklynvegan on Twitter)

Fall Album Review: Iron & Wine's 'Our Endless Numbered Days' bleeds with soothing melodies and heartfelt lyrics

Fall is a great time to break out all-acoustic albums with calming harmonies and soft rhythms. With themes of nature, the changing seasons and fleeting love, Our Endless Numbered Days by Iron & Wine perfectly fits these criteria for any fall playlist. 

Sam Ervin Beam, the man behind Iron & Wine, is a classic folk artist who never misses the mark when it comes to soothing melodies and heartfelt, metaphorical lyrics. Although the album is short, only 44 minutes, it employs an abundance of themes and messages throughout its songs and earned its place as one of Beam’s most popular albums. The album explores the passing of time and the way life changes with the seasons, which makes it an effortless way to end each crisp fall night. Here are the best tracks from Our Endless Numbered Days:

“Naked as We Came”

As the second song on Iron & Wine’s 2004 album, it details the ending of one season and the birth of another. It opens with the main theme of the song, a fast yet soft acoustic guitar rhythm that continues throughout the rest of the tune. The lyrics, “Birds are leaving over autumn’s ending,” signifies the changing season, making it the central theme. Though it’s short and only contains two verses, the lyrics make the listener envision the changing seasons and feel the air turn crisp after each coming day. The harmonies give the song a dainty feel, like leaves blowing in the wind during a cool fall day. 

“Sunset Soon Forgotten”

“Sunset Soon Forgotten” is, quite simply, a song about the end of the day -- watching the sunset slowly fade into the horizon. It’s about leaving the past behind, but also remembering the good moments. This is highlighted when the line changes from “Be this sunset soon forgotten,” to “Be this sunset one for keeping.” As fall offers a time of healing and reflection, this song guides the listener through the coming and going of each day. 

“Love and Some Verses”

This song makes a lot of metaphors about love and what it inherently means, and Beam’s soothing voice makes it a perfect fall love song. The song chronicles a certain feeling of love and how it changes with each passing day. It starts out slow, but then incorporates upbeat drums in the background and takes it to another level. Listeners can easily picture driving along a long, windy country road with yellow and red leaves in the distance. “Love and Some Verses” embodies the cozy, warm feeling of the season -- making it the perfect song to fall in love to. 

Iron & Wine never disappoints with his slow acoustic ballads. These songs will surely make a perfect addition to any listener’s fall playlist. 

Rating: 4/5

@aleccharron

ac833416@ohio.edu