Passion Works studio located on E. State Street in Athens, Ohio, has encouraged people of all abilities to come and create art for 20 years. (FILE)

Passion Works inspires pandemic creativity

Finding positive and uplifting things to focus on is a priority for many people’s mental health during the pandemic. Some people enjoy time in nature, going for drives, baking or picking up a new hobby. For others, art has been an outlet for emotional release in a stressful and trying time.

Passion Works Studio, a local art organization, has organized a community event for just that.

The Passion Works staff feels it is important now, more than ever, to find unique ways to express and engage yourself socially, so they began to host Virtual Community Art Nights. 

For three years, Passion Works has been hosting community art nights. As the coronavirus spread, they decided to continue this tradition virtually.

“We started Art Nights with the hope to have more community engagement and inclusion,” Mallory Valentour, artist in residence & graphic designer, said in an email. “We are a community art studio with a core group of artists with developmental differences.”

Passion Works encourages artistic collaboration between people with and without developmental disabilities. Founded in 1998, the studio has been playing out that vision in their everyday work.

Passion Works Studio prides itself in continuing to create a fun atmosphere to express and inspire during the pandemic. They host the Virtual Community Art Nights with that mission in mind. 

“Our Virtual Community Art Nights are made possible through an Athens County Foundation Grant,” Susan Dlouhy, operations director, said.

Utilized for more than 40 years, The Athens County Foundation is able to manage over 40 grants and for both businesses and families in Athens County. They also manage a large unrestricted fund.

For 2020, the Athens County Foundation will be investing in projects that: Build upon Economic Vitality, Support Thriving Communities, Focus on Individual Health and Wellbeing, and Respond to the COVID19 pandemic and the increased demand for service caused by the crisis, according to athensfoundation.org.

Encouraging community, health and wellbeing, Passion Works’ staff feels they’ve proven to be a meaningful organization for a grant.

“We strive to be a welcoming place for all…to investigate, to learn, and to create to their heart's content,” Valentour said in an email.

Continuing to find new, innovative means to engage with the community, Passion Works has taken to Zoom along with new arts and crafts. 

On Passion Works’ Facebook page, people can find ways to get involved. Virtual Community Art Nights are open to the community and use accessible, around-the-house supplies for easy art-making fun. They will let you know what art supplies you need for Wednesday night on Facebook.

“When Art Nights were in person we often had people helping us with parades, and giant circle paintings,” Valentour said in an email. “Now that we are doing physical distancing we have been doing things like food mandalas, paper hats, paper lanterns, portrait collages, and sock puppets.”

No matter the circumstances, Passion Works is always ready to adapt and grow. They hold high-priority in maintaining happy spirits and artistic fun.

“We would love to grow our Art Night audience,” Valentour said in an email. 

To participate in Virtual Community Art Nights, visit Passion Works’ Facebook page to RSVP, or just show up to one of the nights. 

@SwainoHaley

hs130219@ohio.edu