7 poetry reads when in a perplexed, uncertain season of life

With the weather cooling and mixed emotions arising regarding what the upcoming season of life will bring, many are entering the beginning stages of seasonal depression, whether that be due to heartache, confusion, heightened pressure or uncertainty about the future. To subside these anxieties and uninterrupted negative thoughts, poetry is a powerful and influential recreation to indulge in. It is freeing for the mind and soul, as there is certain to be different collections that address whatever adversity one may be currently facing. Explore which poetry book(s) may be best fit for you at this point in growth and duration:

The Nectar of Pain by Najwa Zebian 

Najwa Zebian’s The Nectar of Pain is truly captivating, as it wholeheartedly possesses the potential to support and guide someone amid the grieving stages of heartbreak and unrequited love. The poems are centered around healing and turning inward, when, in real time, it can be so easy to fixate on what you mishandled instead of remembering you are worthy without his/her affection. 

Zebian emphasizes you are not to blame and often adds at the end of each poem what she has learned or wished she once knew. One of her most riveting revelations reads, “Now I realize that when you ask for love, it’s not as true as when it comes your way. And when the lines are blurred, your search for love may have gone too far astray.” From a woman who has experienced pain, Zebian helps readers feel complete again. 

Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur

Milk and Honey is undoubtedly one of the most recognized poetry books as Rupi Kaur’s short, honest and raw poems have the capability to touch any reader, especially those hurting most. Kaur’s renowned New York Times bestseller is divided into four sections: the hurting, the loving, the breaking and the healing. Readers can jump to whatever section that most resonates with them in their current state of life.

Just from glancing at the contents, it is clear these poems are written to mend broken souls and hearts and to also let those same souls embrace their sadness. When undergoing the poignant process of healing, it has to be understood that “it is a part of the / human experience to feel pain / do not be afraid / open yourself to it,” as Kaur so exquisitely puts it. 

For When She’s Feeling Blue by Edgar Holmes

Most girls could only dream of having a whole collection of poems dedicated to them for when they are feeling down on themselves, stuck and unworthy, but for Edgar Holmes’ wife, it’s a reality. Holmes’ beautiful messages of hope and inspiration found in For When She’s Feeling Blue are explicitly written for his wife, but are also published so others can experience the gift of Holmes’ pick-me-ups and words of affirmation. When in need of a reminder that you are worthy, loved and enough, Holmes’ poems are divine words capable of losing yourself in. 

Bloom for Yourself by April Green

When wanting to take a more optimistic, spiritual and self-discovery route to poetry versus immersing yourself in depressive, painful assurances, April Green’s Bloom for Yourself will help you do just that: grow because you owe it to yourself. When feeling lost, these poems hold the power to be transformative and bring you back to your values in life and the most authentic version of you. The book emphasizes loving and accepting yourself along with your flaws and imperfections. 

Remember, you are human, and life is messy, but that does not mean you can’t at least attempt to unclutter your life if you feel it is time. For those who continuously feel like they will never find someone to love them right, remember, “it is not your responsibility to prove you are enough for somebody else. (just being yourself is enough).” More poems like this one, encapsulating self-love, can be found throughout Green’s collection. 

She Must Be Mad by Charly Cox 

For the women and girls who feel crazy, obsessive, insecure or confused as to what their ultimate purpose in life is, Charly Cox’s feminist, thought-provoking She Must Be Mad is the read for you. The poems navigate all of the trials and tribulations a woman in today’s society faces, from oppression, depression, body shaming and heartbreak with no remorse to ultimately lead a strong and independent woman to realize she is not and never will be alone in a man’s world. 

Four Reincarnations by Max Ritvo

The late Max Rivto’s collection of poems in his book Four Reincarnations looks much different than those preceding it on the list, as it tackles sickness, life, death and the fear that accompanies all three. Rivto writes from a hospital bed poems that are sensitive, sad and severe at times. Before his cancerous death at just the mere age of 25, Rivto wrote to his wife, ex­-lovers, therapists, fathers and mother. 

Sometimes, we all need the gentle reminder that unfortunately, life is temporary and so are the people in it, so while we are still living, we have to learn to love those who stay and let go of those who don’t. For those who may be sick themselves, love someone who is facing health problems, scared of death and truly living and loving to the fullest. Four Reincarnations is an honest and painful heavy read to tackle but will assuredly change your perspective on a lot of hard truths. 

For the Broken by Shenaia Lucas

Feel and heal while reading Shenaia Lucas’ For the Broken by learning to love not only others, but yourself. There is so much truth behind the overused saying you cannot love another until you fully yourself, but it is true, and the poems in this collection emphasize and remind us of that perplexing concept we so often do not want to face and believe. 

It is not until we lose ourselves that we are able to come back to ourselves, which Lucas beautifully outlines by stating: “you are not your insecurities / you are the strength of the mountains and the wisdom of the rivers / you are everything.” For the Broken truly is for those who feel shattered and are in search of themselves. Don’t forget you are worthy and deserve to feel it, too. 

@emmadollenmayer

ed569918@ohio.edu