ROLE MODEL released his latest EP ‘our little angel’ on Oct. 21, 2020. (Photo provided @rolemodel on Instagram)

EP Review: ROLE MODEL’s 'our little angel' consists of his most optimistic, cheerful tracks yet

Tucker Pillsbury, more commonly known by his stage name, ROLE MODEL, has just released his third EP, our little angel. Pillsbury has yet to release an album, though there is no denying he should. However, ROLE MODEL is still in the midst of developing his fanbase and his name. He is excelling nevertheless, by consistently releasing singles, promoting his work actively on social media and reaching listeners worldwide through multiple streaming platforms.

There’s no denying fans were over the moon ecstatic in regards to the release of our little angel -- which consisted of 6 songs, 2 of them being singles -- as they were posting and sharing his latest content on Instagram and Twitter. 

ROLE MODEL is not your typical pop artist. His authenticity is ultimately what sets him apart from the rest, given his honest and typically dark lyrics. our little angel is concisely an EP revolving around the theme of newfound closure to constant numbness and an advancement toward sense and sensitivity. Despite his prevailing and recognizable depressive lyrics, the opener, “alive,” on our little angel is one of Pillsbury’s most optimistic tracks yet. 

“alive” is undeniably a song to celebrate those who have healed from their past traumas and to inspire those who are in the healing process now. If anyone knows what hurting and heartache feels like, it’s ROLE MODEL, making his melancholic tempo accompanied by sincere lyrics, all the more relatable. Per contra, “alive,” with its hopeful tone and resonant timbre, sets the rest of the EP up for a brighter outlook on self-love, relationships and life itself. 

Sure enough, the next tracks to follow are full of confidence and words conveying his newfound independence. In the past, Pillsbury has sang about toxic love, unhealthy relationships and a false sense of identity, where now, in songs like “blind,” he sings, “I haven’t felt a thing this year” and “Yeah I’ve never seen / Something quite like you,” showcasing his breakthrough to feeling again. 

“doyouseeit” is another dreamy, relatable tune, as Pillsbury, in his talk-like song, pictures a life with someone he can for once see himself ending up and sharing his life with. He sings, “I fantasize quite a bit,” and asks if she can see his vision and desires too. Most people are perpetrators of meeting someone they feel intensely for and creating false scenarios in their heads with respect to how the couple’s future may pan out, in hopes the timing and person is right. Pillsbury interprets this situation beautifully through the pleasant “doyouseeit.” 

ROLE MODEL, as a singer-songwriter who often blurs the line between singing and speaking, showcases a newfound talent of rapping in the popular “going out,” where he reverts back to his sadder ways singing, “Don’t hit me if you’re going out / I can barely leave the house / Mood is always moving south.” Clearly, the rapping works, as the track is so far, the most popular amongst the others. 

Conclusively, Pillsbury’s more idealistic approach to songwriting works just as well as his heavy-handed one. Though, we could all use some sad music to drown our tears in, we are more than happy our little angel himself is seeming more elated lately, evident through the lyrics in his music. His talent for songwriting and raspy voice cannot be topped, as he and his art are truly gifts to our generation. Arguably, Pillsbury has never released anything less than what he has to offer, and is only going to continue to climb amidst other cliched pop artists. 

@emmadollenmayer

ed569918@ohio.edu