The Post logo

Small business thrives at the Toledo Farmer’s Market

October 7, 2020

Pondering with Patterson: The Toledo Farmers Market is great for small business

By Lauren Patterson | For The Post

W aking up at 8 a.m. on a Saturday morning is not an idea that most college kids are too fond of. Once my dad threw in the words “coffee” and “jewelry,” the idea became much more appealing to me. I recently took a trip to the Toledo Farmers’ Market located downtown on 525 Market Street. The visit was an incredible experience, revealing the importance of The Toledo Farmers’ Market as a great way to support small businesses.

In Athens, students are big on shopping locally, and we take great pride in supporting our favorite businesses. Sometimes, it can be hard for us to even imagine a hot cup of coffee that isn’t from our beloved Donkey, Brenen’s or Court Street Coffee.

The Toledo Farmers’ Market introduced me to businesses and people who would emit many of the same feelings. The people shopping alongside the range of products being sold was an important environment to take in. Farmers’ Markets have certainly come a long way from selling strictly produce, and they serve as an important experience while standing as a great way to support small business.

At the Toledo Farmers’ Market, there was incredible local coffee. A hot cup from Flying Rhino Coffee was exactly what I needed to kick my experience into gear. There were baker vendors scattered throughout the market, all offering a mixture of choices. Holey Toledough, Toledo’s whimsical donut hub, had a food truck set up and was thick with customers. All Crumbs Artisan Bakery was set up next to Flying Rhino and served incredible goods like Croissant Pretzels and Everything Bagel Bread.

Lots of booths were selling handmade jewelry and other one of a kind pieces. To name just a few of the vendors: CANDE, Dado Jewelry and Willow Moon Botanicals. All of the pieces and products were enticing, and the people were friendly and warm. Supporting their businesses was easy and it felt good. The market provided a great outlet for doing so.

Everyone at the market seemed to be enjoying themselves. As cheesy as it may seem, you can tell when someone is smiling under their mask. It was easy to spot the regulars against the newbies, like my dad and myself, yet the entire environment radiated a sense of welcoming.

Wherever it is that you find yourself at this moment, if you are able to, take a trip to your local farmers’ market. It is an experience like no other, and supporting small businesses is not only always easy, but especially at this time, is an important and rewarding thing to do.

Lauren Patterson is a sophomore studying journalism. Please note that the views and ideas of columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Lauren? Tweet her @lpaatt.

BACK

AUTHOR: Lauren Patterson
EDITOR: Noah Wright
COPY EDITOR: Bre Offenberger
PHOTO: Kelsey Boeing
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Brianna Lender