Photo provided by Kayla Niece.

High School Football: Here's a recap of Week 8 of TVC-Ohio football

With the eighth week of high school football finally done, only one TVC-Ohio team remains in the OHSAA playoffs. All other teams have been eliminated or have one final nonconference game to close out the season.

In case you missed it, here’s a wrap up of what happened during Week 8 of TVC-Ohio football.

Alexander

The Spartans were able to end their season on a high note, recording their second win of the season in 34-22 over Southeastern.

Alexander’s (2-6, 1-4 TVC-Ohio) offense played its best game of the season, relying on the big play to carry the scoring whenever its back was against the wall.

Xander Karagosian started the scoring early with two passing touchdowns, including a 70-yard bomb to Michael Lash. Coach Earich Dean has been working on making Karagosian more of a threat in the passing game all season and a performance like he had on Friday gives him so much confidence heading into next season.

The other major standout on offense for the Spartans was Jagger Cain, who came away with two total touchdowns, including a 90-yard rush to the house that was a major momentum swing for Alexander in the first half.

Defensively, Alexander struggled to stop Southeastern (1-7, 1-5 Scioto Valley Conference) in the first half but held the Panthers scoreless in the second half, thanks in part to four forced turnovers. Two of those four turnovers were interceptions by Lash, bringing his total a TVC-Ohio five picks.

For the Spartans, Friday inspired confidence in what the offense is capable of next season, as they have big aspirations for what they can accomplish next season.

Nelsonville-York

The Buckeyes got their first playoff win since 2017 on Saturday night as they dominated Symmes Valley in a 41-6 win at Boston Field. 

Nelsonville-York (5-2, 4-1 TVC-Ohio) fed off the duo of receiver Ethan Gail and quarterback Drew Carter, who threw for 216 yards and four touchdowns.

Carter tossed three of his four touchdown passes to Gail, who found himself running down the sideline with nobody around him on the first offensive play of the game, and took the ball 68 yards into the end zone.

Carter found Gail once more in the first half and for the final touchdown of the game that started the running clock for the last five minutes.

The defense played as it has all season by only allowing six points for the second-straight week. Nelsonville-York’s defense has only given up 12 points in the last three games of the season.

The Buckeyes will now go on the road with a third-round matchup at Fairland. The Dragons are the third seed in the region and the Buckeyes are sixth. If Nelsonville-York wins, it will return home against Loudonville or Dawson-Bryant.

The Rest of the TVC-Ohio

Wellston loses to Johnstown-Monroe 31-6

The Golden Rockets’ playoff run came to an end on their own field, only the second time they’ve suffered a home defeat in 2020. The game stayed close through the first three quarters, as Johnstown-Monroe only led 10-6 heading into the fourth. But 21 points in the final quarter from the Johnnies sealed the game and the season for Wellston.

Vinton County loses to Gallia Academy 46-8

The Vikings also have their season ended in the second round of the playoffs. Vinton County traveled to Gallipolis, looking to continue its first playoff run since 2004, but Gallia Academy put an end to that, leaving Nelsonville-York as the last TVC-Ohio team standing in the playoffs.

River Valley defeats Huntington 47-27

After going winless in conference play, the Raiders found their footing at the end of the season with their nonconference opponents. River Valley won its third straight nonconference game on Friday, and in its three games against teams outside of TVC-Ohio, it has outscored its opponents 125-57. That is a good way to end the season for a team who started its first five games without a win.

Who’s Playing Next Week?

Nelsonville-York will travel to Proctorville on Friday to face its next playoff opponent, Fairland.

Meigs will play a final nonconference game at Southern on Friday.

All kickoff times are set for 7:00 p.m.

@scott_cthomas11

st610417@ohio.edu

@TylerHJohnson7

tj932016@ohio.edu

Tyler Johnson

Sports