Ohio’s Erica Johnson (#4) shoots the ball during Ohio’s game against Notre Dame in The Convo on Friday, Nov. 27, 2020.

Women's Basketball: Instant reactions from Ohio's historic 86-85 win over Notre Dame

Ohio hoped to shock the world when it welcomed No.22 ranked Notre Dame to The Convo on Friday. The Fighting Irish is a program that’s won a National Championship recently, but Ohio had no problems playing up to the challenge. 

Despite having to battle the entire fourth quarter, Ohio held on to beat the Fighting Irish 86-85. 

Here are The Post’s instant reactions to Ohio’s historic victory over Notre Dame. 

Fast start 

Heading into the locker room with an 11-point lead was quite the shock for Bobcat fans. Ohio seemed like it couldn’t miss early on, and star guards CeCe Hooks and Erica Johnson’s 27 combined first half points seemed to stun a lagging Notre Dame defense. 

It was expected to see Hooks and Johnson step up in a big game. The true shock was the output Ohio coach Bob Boldon got from his bench. Sophomore point guard Peyton Guice was fearless in the paint against defenders much bigger than her. Her emergence gave Ohio a boost that manifested itself into a 41-30 halftime lead. 

The worst kind of trouble ...

The moment when this game changed came with 5:29 remaining in the third quarter when Erica Johnson picked up her fourth foul. For the remainder of the third, Notre Dame dominated the Bobcats on both ends of the floor. Ohio seemed helpless with its best scorer glued to the bench and went into the fourth quarter trailing 65-62.

A game to remember

It had to be this way. With all eyes on the program, Ohio stepped up in the biggest of moments. CeCe Hooks was phenomenal with 32 points, and the entire roster scrapped for one of the most special moments in program history. 

Power five teams can come to The Convo if they dare. 

@JL_Kirven 

jk810916@ohio.edu