Ohio running back O'Shaan Allison (#0) avoids a tackle during Ohio’s game against Bowling Green on Saturday, Nov. 28, 2020, in Peden Stadium.

Football: Instant reactions from Ohio's 52-10 win over Bowling Green

After 18 days since its game against Akron, the Bobcats made a strong return after a 52-10 victory over Bowling Green. From the first snap, Ohio had this game locked in. De’Montre Tuggle got the ball rolling with an eight-yard rushing touchdown, and the Bobcats never looked back.

Here are some instant reactions from Ohio’s win Saturday:

What does Kurtis Rourkes injury mean?

In the closing minutes of the first half, Rourke was in the middle of a strong outing against the Falcons. The redshirt freshman went 10-for-11 with 63 passing yards and one touchdown. His day was cut short after a bad landing on his left shoulder forced him out of the rest of the game. 

Armani Rogers took the reins with ease, and the Bobcats carved out his own slice of Bowling Green’s defense. Even CJ Harris managed to see some action for the first time this season. If Rourke’s injury is severe enough, Rogers will have to serve as Ohio’s sole starting quarterback for the time being.

DeMontre Tuggle on the war path

Before his start on Saturday, Tuggle had accumulated 218 rushing yards and three touchdowns. In just one game, Tuggle managed to almost double his stats. Three trips to the endzone and 185 yards Saturday were enough to push Tuggle to 403 rushing yards and six touchdowns this season.

Tuggle has been a lynchpin of Ohio’s offense this season, and Saturday showed that he’s got plenty of gas in the tank.

The defense has improved

Following the win against the Zips, coach Frank Solich mentioned the biggest improvement he wanted to see out of the defense was getting more three-and-outs. On Saturday, he got his wish. Ohio managed to force four three-and-outs from Bowling Green and often scored from those turnovers.

Ohio also kept the interception ball rolling from last game, snagging three passes from Bowling Green quarterback Matt McDonald.

Vandenberg has stabilized, somewhat

Tristian Vandenberg started this season off as an uncertainty for Ohio’s special teams. Uncertainty is not what a team wants from a kicker. The redshirt freshman had only went 1/4 when attempting a field goal in his first two games. 

With 18 days to right himself, Vandenberg showed some improvement. Although missing a 43-yard attempt in the fourth quarter, the redshirt freshmen seems more sure of himself compared to his first two appearances.

@thejackgleckler

jg011517@ohio.edu