Ohio’s Alec Hagan wrestles Campbells’s  Zach Barnes during a match on Nov. 10, 2019, in The Convo. (FILE)

Wrestling: Ohio announces 2020-21 schedule

Ohio announced its 2020-21 schedule Friday.

While the season would normally start in November, wrestlers won’t take the mat until January.

The Bobcats will begin their season with five straight road events. The first is a dual against Mid-American Conference rival Buffalo on Jan. 2. 

Following that, Ohio will travel to two-straight quad meets, starting in Morgantown, West Virginia, on Jan. 9, where it will wrestle against West Virginia, Kent State and Virginia Tech. The next meet will see the Bobcats go to Clarion, Pennsylvania, to take on Lake Erie, Rider and Clarion on Jan. 16.

The next two meets will be MAC Duals. First, Ohio will travel to Columbia, Missouri, to wrestle against Missouri and Northern Illinois on Jan. 23. The Bobcats will go to Mount Pleasant, Michigan, the next week to take part in a meet that includes Central Michigan, Cleveland State and George Mason on Jan. 31.

Ohio’s only two duals at The Convo will take place in February. On Feb. 7, Kent State will come to Athens for the first dual. Following that, Cleveland State will come to town Feb. 14 on what will be Ohio’s last regular season matchup.

The 2021 MAC Championships will be hosted by Rider in Lawrenceville, New Jersey, from Feb. 27-28. The NCAA Championships will take place in St. Louis about a month later from March 18-20.

The 2020-21 season will be head coach Joel Greenlee’s 24th year at the helm. The Bobcats finished the regular season 9-8 in duals last season. 

Redshirt sophomore Jordan Earnest and redshirt junior Alec Hagan are Ohio’s only returning 2020 NCAA qualifiers. The 2020 NCAA Tournament was canceled due to COVID-19 concerns. 

@elifeaz  

ef195418@ohio.edu