news year eve playlist

6 songs for your New Year's Eve playlist

If 2020 gave us anything, it was good music. New artists emerged, and old favorites came out of hiatus. Ring in the New Year at home by jamming out. Who says you need a crowd to have a dance party? For inspiration, here’s a playlist of hit songs released in 2020:

“WHAT'S POPPIN” by Jack Harlow 

Jack Harlow gained great popularity in 2020, and for good reason. The young up-and-coming rapper released “WHAT'S POPPIN” in March. It’s different beat and casual vibe makes a catchy song fit for any party. The song centers on the phrase “what's poppin,” which Harlow uses often as a greeting. This ties together the overall theme of “WHAT'S POPPIN” --  introducing Harlow as an artist. 

“willow” by Taylor Swift

Arguably, Taylor Swift saved 2020. In July, she shocked everyone by dropping a surprise album Folklore. Then, Swift did it again in December, dropping another surprise album, Evermore. Both albums have the same style. 

The genres are different from her previous work. Instead of her signature country and pop, it is mellow indie folk and alternative rock. I chose “willow” for the playlist because it has this wistful elegance that draws the listener in. However, any of her new music will make a great addition to your New Year's Eve  playlist.

“BANG!” by AJR 

AJR became more well known as a band in 2020, thanks to their hit song “BANG!” The track is lovable for its unique sound and relatable lyrics. AJR sings of the awkward transition period from childhood to adulthood. Billboard quotes AJR in a press release stating, "the fact is, adulthood is bound to hit us at some point, so the plan we made in the song is to 'go out with a bang.’” End 2020 with a “bang” by jamming out to this hit. 

“Savage Remix” (feat. Beyoncé) by Megan Thee Stallion

“Savage” became the victim of a dance trend on TikTok, all ages choreographing moves to the song. It’s message focuses on female empowerment. Megan and Beyoncé collaborate to show that female artists need to lift each other up, not compete. Proceeds from their collab are donated to a Houston nonprofit, Bread for Life. This organization provided necessities to families during the pandemic. 

“More Than My Hometown” by Morgan Wallen

Country can be a controversial genre, but this is an inclusive playlist. This year, Morgan Wallen was a consistent chart topper in the country scene, especially his song “More Than My Hometown”. 

The track is a catchy and bittersweet song about romantic crossroads. Wallen and his girlfriend grew up in the same town, but have different dreams. In the end, they are forced to split. Wallen wants to stay in his hometown, and the girl wants another adventure. 

“Positions” by Ariana Grande

“Positions” is the title song from Ariana Grande’s newest album. The song boats a double meaning. Through the lyrics, we know it is a love song. Grande sings how she will do anything to make that special someone happy. But, we also see in the music video a message of female empowerment. 

Grande switches positions of power with men. An example from the video is her becoming president of the United States. The overall message of this song screams female empowerment. Listening to “Positions” is a good way to set the tone for 2021.    

jc079419@ohio.edu

@colant_juliana