Pondering with Patterson: '90s rock alternative will always rule

Smells Like Teen Spirit, Wonderwall, Under the Bridge? Overplay of certain tracks has given ‘90s alternative rock a bit of bad buzz, but there is a reason why these tracks are sought out. Maybe “Wonderwallhas been a little played into overkill...but there is always going to be a time and a place where Oasis is a part of the secret weapon to carry the night on. Tracks like “Champagne Supernova” or depending on your preference, “Wonderwall,” mixed into the queue with tunes from bands like The Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, R.E.M. or Nirvana are sure to keep a great atmosphere with the headspace solid and the mood right. ‘90s alternative rock rules, and there’s no reason to not embrace it.

The genre rules because it always works. It’s hard to believe that anyone has ever uttered that they weren’t feeling like listening to Weezer right now. Sometimes it’s necessary to kick back and imagine life on an “Island In The Sun,” or to rage along to “Undone - The Sweater Song,'' a song about a sweater that’s a lot deeper than what it sounds like. Weezer has all of the elements, as do most of the ‘90s alternative rock chart-toppers. Elements of rage, melancholy, cheese, feel-good and feel-bad mix together to create a genre during an era that is able to stand this test of time, save your mood or save your night.

It’s these elements that aid in ‘90s alternative rock secret weaponry. R.E.M. 's “Everybody Hurts” ranks right up alongside “Wonderwall” in glares you may receive for taking the “radio route,” but it doesn’t make it any less great. There is a time and a place for it, and similarly to Oasis, another time and place for more hard-hitting ‘90s R.E.M.. “Near Wild Heaven” might get you exactly where you need to be.

Blink-182’s “All The Small Things” can always be cranked and “Adam’s Song” can always be felt. Similarly, Green Day’s “Longview” and “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life).” Options are presented depending on the situation, and that is the beauty of  ‘90s alternative rock.

This genre always has a way. It’s a back pocket treasure, able to be used as a tool for hitting all of the nails on the head just right. Even with the more mainstream choices of play, an easy listen is assured.  

Embracing the cheesy elements is essential and only adds to the experience. The time and place will always exist for ‘90s alternative rock because of its assortment and applicability. While the era is over, it should always be embraced. 

Lauren Patterson is a sophomore studying journalism. Please note that the views and ideas of columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Lauren? Tweet her @lpaatt.