9 coming-of-age movies to inspire you

As we begin the Spring Semester, we may need a little inspiration for the long road ahead. This is especially true for most freshmen, who are coming to campus for the first time and trying to navigate the crazy world of college during COVID-19. And nothing is more inspirational than a coming-of-age movie. Here are the nine best coming-of-age movies that will have you stunned and inspired to take on what’s to come:

The Florida Project

This story follows six-year-old Moonee (Brooklynn Prince) and her single mother Halley (Bria Vinaite) as they spend the summer in the Magic Castle hotel, just outside of Walt Disney World in Florida. 

The hotel is known for its working class guests who live there permanently. Moonee runs free with her other hotel friends as her mom struggles to make a living and keep her life together. However, Moonee uses her imagination to forget the world around her, while exploring a new one. 

The hotel manager, Bobby (Willem Dafoe), does his best to protect the children of the hotel, but Moonee and Halley both learn that they can’t play pretend forever. And while it may sound depressing, to see Moonee make do with what she has is both inspiring and humbling. 

Mid-90s

This next movie is perfect for anyone still stuck in the ’90s. Written and directed by Jonah Hill, Mid-90s tells the story of 13-year-old Stevie (Sunny Suljic) as he makes friends with a group of rebellious and reckless skateboarders in 1990s Los Angeles. 

Stevie is constantly bullied at home, so he begins to use skating and his friends as an escape from it all. However, he soon learns that everyone around him has their own struggles they want to escape from. Whether that be with drugs, alcohol or girls, everyone has different ways of coping. Also starring Euphoria’s Alexa Demie, this movie offers comforting ’90s nostalgia along with an important message that all people can relate to. 

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

This iconic movie features Matthew Broderick as Ferris, a high school senior who spends the day skipping school and exploring the city of Chicago with his friends. Throughout the film, Ferris breaks the fourth wall and gives advice to the audience watching. 

While the majority of film is how to scheme, he discusses making the most of everyday and taking risks to make life exciting. It’s a great pick me up movie whenever you feel that life has gotten too boring and redundant. 

Hot Summer Nights

This list would not be complete without a Timothée Chalamet movie. Also set during the ’90s, the movie follows Chalamet as Daniel, an awkward teenager who is sent to live in Cape Cod for the summer. During his stay, he meets the town’s drug dealer Hunter (Elijah Bynum) and soon becomes business partners with him. 

Daniel also starts a relationship with Hunter’s sister McKayla (Maika Monroe) in secret. And as the cops try to find out his schemes and an impending hurricane arrives, Daniel’s business and lies finally catch up to him. 

Eighth Grade

Even though we are now grown and matured, we all remember the awkwardness of middle school. This movie follows eighth grader Kayla (Elsie Fisher) as she finishes middle school and looks ahead to high school. 

Like most middle schoolers, she has a hard time fitting in and finding out who she truly is. She struggles with her self-confidence, sexuality and anxiety, but eventually learns that she is good enough just the way she is. This could be comforting for any freshman or any new students who may be struggling with finding their way on campus. 

The Breakfast Club

Although it's another nostalgic movie on our list, The Breakfast Club may be the most iconic. Five teenagers from different high school cliques all share a Saturday detention together. They soon learn that they have a lot in common including family pressures and problems, peer pressures and mental illnesses. 

They all reveal their secrets to one another while ultimately discovering who they are.  Although they all come from different backgrounds, they can still come together and be themselves.   

Boyhood

This next movie is a true coming-of-age story. Boyhood follows Mason (Ellar Coltrane) from ages six to eighteen as he grows up in Texas with his divorced parents and sister. The movie was filmed from 2001 to 2013, using the same cast as they grow older. Mason struggles with typical childhood problems while also dealing with his mother's abusive relationships and problems with his father. Although it’s one person’s story, everyone can relate to parts of it. 

Booksmart

This is another great film for the freshmen new to campus who may be struggling. Starring Kaitlyn Dever and Beanie Feldstein, high school seniors Amy and Molly spend their last day of school partying. This is because they regret spending their days studying and not having fun like their other classmates. 

The night is filled with crazy antics but the girls soon realize that they can have balance in their lives and that the people they took for granted, may not be so bad after all. 

The Perks of Being A Wallflower

This last movie is a personal favorite. The film stars Logan Lerman as Charlie, a high school freshman suffering from clinical depression. He soon becomes friends with two seniors (Emma Watson and Ezra Miller), who show him the ropes of high school and bring him out of his social shell. 

Not only does it give a nod to the kids from Pittsburgh, (director Stephen Chbosky is a Pittsburgh native and shot the movie there as well), but it also relates to kids who are having difficulty making friends. It’s the perfect movie to watch when you’re struggling and need some cheering up.  

@hannahcmpbell

hc895819@ohio.edu