Ohio guard Cece Hooks (1) takes the ball to the basket with pressure from a University of Akron defender during the home game on Saturday, Jan. 30, 2021, in Athens, Ohio. 

Women's Basketball: Instant reactions from Ohio's 85-55 win over Akron

After having its three-game win streak snapped by Eastern Michigan, Ohio put itself back in the win column with a dominant performance against Akron. Ohio led almost the entire game Saturday afternoon in The Convo.

Here are The Post’s instant reactions from the 85-55 win over the Zips:

Hot start

The Bobcats came out on fire in the first half. Ohio made five of six 3-pointers to open the game. CeCe Hooks, who usually doesn’t shoot well from beyond the arc, made her first four 3-pointers. Akron couldn’t stop the Ohio offense, which was getting points from just about everyone on the team. Ohio made eight-of-11 3-pointers and shot 68% from the field in the 34-point opening period.

Hooks scored 14 of her 31 points in the opening quarter, and Erica Johnson contributed eight points. The Bobcats held onto the early lead they established for the entire game.

Second-half defense

Despite a huge offensive first quarter, Ohio head coach Bob Boldon wasn’t happy with the defense. Ohio turned it around in the second half with stifling defense. The Bobcats held Akron to four points in the third quarter, while CeCe Hooks scored 11 in the quarter.

Kaylee Bambule shined defensively for Boldon’s team. The redshirt junior stole the ball twice and had a block. Bambule also had three assists and five rebounds. Fifty-five points is the lowest point total by an Ohio opponent this season.

CeCe Hooks

Hooks always plays well against Akron. Last year, she set a school record with 41 at Akron. On Saturday, she scored 31 points in three quarters. The Mid-American Conference leading scorer shot 13-for-18 from the field and four-of-five from beyond the arc in another dominant performance against the Zips.

Defensively, Hooks had three steals and five rebounds.

@scott_cthomas11

St610417@ohio.edu