Redshirt freshman, Kurtis Rourke (7), hands the ball off to De’Montre Tuggle (24) during the home game against the Akron Zips. (FILE)

Football: Ohio announces 2021-2022 non-conference football schedule, list of MAC opponents

After playing only three games last season, Ohio announced Friday its non-conference schedule for the 2021-2022 season, alongside a list of the MAC opponents it’ll face. 

The Bobcats’ 2021-2022 season will start off with a first. When Ohio hosts Syracuse on Sept. 4 to kick off the season, it’ll be the first time the Bobcats host an ACC opponent. Ohio was supposed to play Boston College in Boston last season. The last time Ohio faced an ACC team was in 2019, a 20-10 lost at Pittsburgh.  

Ohio will get to enjoy another helping of home cooking in week two (Sept. 11) when the visiting Duquesne Dukes come to Peden Stadium. Duquesne is a football championship subdivision team that unfortunately didn’t have a 2020 season due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

The Bobcats’ first road trip comes against a familiar foe. Ohio and the University of Louisiana will battle for the fourth time in their program’s histories Sept. 18. Ohio lost its most recent matchup with the Ragin Cajuns, 45-25, in 2019. 

To wrap up non-conference play, Ohio battles one of hottest rising programs in the nation. The Bobcats have a big-time matchup with the last season’s Big 10 runner-up, Northwestern, in Evanston on Sept. 25. The Wildcats are coming off a Citrus Bowl victory over Auburn and will be looking for a statement win before starting Big 10 play. A win for Ohio would be one of the biggest in school history. 

Ohio also announced its Mid-American Conference opponents Friday. The specific dates for those matchups will be announced at a later date. For now, Ohio knows it’ll face Miami, Kent State, Central Michigan and Toledo at home, and it’ll travel to Akron, Bowling Green, Buffalo and Eastern Michigan. 

2020 was unlike any season that’s come before it. The Bobcats (2-1) had three of its six games canceled, including its final two, due to COVID-19 contract tracing issues. Hopes are high that the Bobcats will get to play all 12 of its games in 2021 in front of fans. But as things continue to change and develop, expect the schedule to potentially follow suit. 

Ohio Bobcats 2021-2022 non-conference schedule 

9/4  vs. Syracuse 

9/11 vs. Duquesne

9/18 at Louisiana 

9/25 at Northwestern 

Ohio Bobcats 2021-2022 MAC opponents 

Home 

Miami 

Central Michigan 

Toledo 

Kent State 

Away

Bowling Green 

Akron 

Eastern Michigan 

Buffalo 

@JL_Kirven 

jk810916@ohio.edu