Ohio infielder Katie Yun (#8) throws a ball to second base during the Bobcats' game against Northern Kentucky on March 26, 2019, at the Ohio Softball Field.

Softball: Bobcats drop both games in season-opening doubleheader

After its opening weekend at the 2021 Kickin’ Chicken Classic was canceled due to weather, Ohio opened up its season with a trip to Knoxville on Monday to face No. 23 Tennessee in a doubleheader. The Bobcats ended up dropping both games and left Knoxville without their first win of the season. 

Game 1: 

The Bobcats got the first hit of the game with a single from Allie Englant. Tennessee responded with two solo home runs in the second inning and busted its lead open with four runs in the third. The Bobcats were able to get their only run of the game in the fourth inning when senior Katie Yun hit a solo home run to lead off the inning. The Bobcats had the bases loaded in the fifth but were unable to bring in any runs to tighten the game. A bright spot for the Bobcats in this game was pitcher Holly Brehm, who came in and pitched two hitless innings with a strikeout in relief. 

Game 2:

The Bobcats got on the board first in this game with an RBI double from Molly Troutman. From there, Tennessee scored four unanswered runs to take the lead. The Bobcats attempted a comeback in the fourth when Caitlin Fogue brought in a run off a double to cut Tennessee’s lead to just two runs. But in the bottom of the fourth inning, Tennessee exploded for seven runs, and the game ended after the fifth inning. 

What’s Next: 

The Bobcats will travel to Greenville, North Carolina, on Saturday to play a three-game series against East Carolina. They will play a doubleheader on Saturday starting at 1 p.m. and then a game Sunday at noon. 

@willyfran5

wf991919@ohio.edu