From the Editor’s Desk: Remember to still take time for yourself during virtual classes

After a quick change to a virtual format last Spring Semester and a full load of virtual classes for most students this past fall, it seems that there’s a perception that online classes are easier for students and professors. Well, I can personally tell you this perception is false. 

Though I’ve adjusted fairly well, virtual classes aren’t any easier than day one last March. I still find I’m less attentive during online classes. Pairing that with the fact that I’m learning three feet away from my bed, it all has really screwed up my whole work/relaxation separation philosophy. 

Furthermore, I had to spend $500 to repair my laptop’s battery after it’s power source and lifespan decided to give out at the start of winter break. Was that because of constant Zoom and Microsoft Teams meetings? We’ll never know. But I’d like to think it had some impact on my computer’s health. The whole ordeal definitely weighed on my mental and financial health. 

Nevertheless, what I’m trying to say here is that virtual classes drain you in a way that in-person classes usually don’t. Every college student faced with online classes has more or less accepted them, but that doesn’t mean these students—and even the professors faced with teaching virtually—shouldn’t take the time to relax and focus on themselves for a bit.

With the first of Ohio University’s multiple Wellness Breaks coming up on Feb. 9, I can’t help but guess if I’ll be using the day to unplug from Blackboard or if I’ll be instead using it the catch up on the multitude of discussion board posts I have looming over my head. 

While in theory I think these Wellness Breaks are a great way to compensate for the lack of Spring Break during the semester, I don’t think they necessarily equate. The need for self-care this semester goes beyond that of three days off.

Throughout this semester, I’ve been attempting new ways to relax from classes, even if it’s for a few minutes or for an evening. Sometimes when I could be working on my next assignment, I sit down and play a game of sudoku (yes, I realize I sound 75 years old here) or play with my roommate’s cat, Mako, instead. On Tuesdays, after all my meetings for the evening, I’ve made it a ritual to watch TV with my best friend. Even drinking a glass of a new wine while cooking and eating dinner has been nice. It’s the little things.

And while, I’m in no way advocating for procrastination or simply not doing assignments, sometimes I do truly believe one’s own mental health trumps that of a simple participation or discussion grade. Apologies if you disagree. 

Even if it’s even laying on your bed and dissociating from everything around you for five minutes, take the time and prioritize yourself this semester. Grades do matter, but Bobcats, you and your mental health matter more. 

Molly Schramm is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University and the editor-in-chief of The Post. Have questions? Email Molly at ms660416@ohio.edu or tweet her @_molly_731