Ohio's Cory Blessing (#22) pitches during their game against Ohio State on Tuesday. The Bobcats lost 10-8 to the Buckeyes.

Baseball: What to watch for in Ohio's series vs Morehead State

Ohio (1-2) begins its first home series against Morehead State on Friday, where it hopes to capitalize on its win against Radford last Sunday. However, the Bobcats have not played a game at Bob Wren Stadium in 351 days. On March 11, 2020, the Bobcats lost to Marshall 3-2 in their final game before the season was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

If Ohio wants to keep its success alive, it will need to channel its home-field advantage.

Game Information:

Opponent: Morehead State

Times: Friday 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. 

Live stats: https://www.ohiobobcats.com/sports/bsb/2020-21/boxscores/20210226_8lfe.xml

The Bobcats will also be traveling to Morehead in the same weekend for a second doubleheader on Sunday, Feb 28. 

Times: Sunday 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. 

Live stats: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=340654

Players to watch for:

Ohio:

Harry Witwer-Dukes

In two games, Witwer-Dukes has totaled four hits in seven at-bats. The graduate infielder currently has a .571 batting average and a .625 on-base percentage. These stats give him the honors of being the leader for Bobcats in both batting average and on-base percentage thus far this season. 

Edward Kutt IV

In his first appearance of the season, Kutt picked up Ohio’s first win. He went five innings on Feb. 21 against Radford and only gave up two hits and two runs. The highlight of his performance was his five-strikeout total. Kutt currently has a 1.80 ERA, the lowest on the Bobcats pitching staff. 

Joe Rock

While Kutt leads the charge for the right-handed pitchers, Rock holds the fort down for the lefties. In his start against Radford on Feb. 19, he totaled twelve strikeouts in five innings. Despite having a loss charged to his name, Rock is still proficient on the mound when the Bobcats need it most. 

Joe Weisenseel

Weisenseel is the reigning Mid-American Conference player of the week. Against Radford, he totaled five hits and five RBIs. His offensive prowess started the charge in Ohio’s seventh-inning comeback last Sunday when he batted in two runs and scored one himself.  

Morehead State:

Jack Gardner 

The Eagles offense is spearheaded by Gardner. In four games and eleven at-bats, Gardener totals five hits, four RBIs and one homerun. His .455 batting average and .571 on-base percentage lead Morehead State. 

Jason Goe 

Goe has pitched five innings so far this season, giving up five hits and three runs. He totals five strikeouts in one appearance and has a 5.40 ERA. 

Series History:

The last time Ohio and Morehead faced off was April 2, 2019 where Ohio won 12-3. The two teams were scheduled to face each other twice before the 2020 season was ultimately canceled.  Since 2013, Ohio is 4-4 overall and 3-2 at Bob Wren when facing Morehead. 

Games between the Bobcats and the Eagles tend to be high scoring on either side. Four of the eight games have ended with either one or both teams tallying double-digit runs. The series has a combined eighty runs between both teams. 

Only one game has gone into extra innings in the past eight years. On March 27, 2018 the Eagles defeated the Bobcats 9-8 at Morehead in 10 innings. 

In each of their last four games played, the Eagles have scored 17 runs compared to 12 for the Bobcats. However, Ohio dominates in hits with 26 compared to Morehead’s 19. Getting on base is not an issue for the Bobcats, it is crossing the plate that poses issues. This dynamic could be one to watch for throughout the series. 

With Morehead looking to pick up its first win of the season and the Bobcats looking to continue their winning streak, this series will be one to watch out for this weekend. 

@ashleybeachy_

ab026319@ohio.edu