The Ping Recreation Center located on South Green on Ohio University's campus in Athens, Ohio.

Ping sees influx of enthusiastic students despite pandemic

Ohio University’s Ping Recreation Center has seen an increased student interest in fitness classes during Spring Semester, despite the COVID-19 guidelines in place.

Staff have seen a “huge skyrocket” in F45 memberships, Tony Gregory, assistant director of Well-Being and Fitness, said. F45 is a workout that combines both cardio and strength training

Gregory said Ping has had at least 100 students within the first week-and-a-half of the program download its free membership trial. Because this is the first full semester launching the program, and due to the limited number of students that can attend workouts due to COVID-19 guidelines, he said students can access the pass for classes for free this semester. 

Megan Meneskie, student group fitness supervisor and F45 coach, said she saw another instructor's class fill up in three minutes.

“That is just unheard of,” she said.

Meneskie said while this may be partially due to a lower class capacity, as there are only nine participants allowed per class, she has noticed people are excited to be there.

“I think that if I had to see a silver lining about something that the pandemic has forced everybody to do, regardless of what profession and career you're in, it's forced people to be innovative in the way that they deliver their services.”

“The energy in the room is unmatched,” she said. “People have been saying that, since over the new year they didn't have much access to group fitness classes, they were very excited to come back and start back here.”

In addition to limits on group fitness classes, Meneskie said there is a YouTube channel where weekly classes are uploaded. 

“They're free, and what's awesome about that is we can also go outside of the Athens community,” she said. “They're free to everyone, and they're accessible to everyone.”

Meneskie said there were some technical difficulties in getting virtual classes started, but now both instructors and participants are more comfortable working out from home.

“I think that if I had to see a silver lining about something that the pandemic has forced everybody to do, regardless of what profession and career you're in, it's forced people to be innovative in the way that they deliver their services,” Gregory said.

Gregory thinks virtual classes will be continued once in-person classes are more available, but it may not be to the same extent.

“I've done these workouts on my off days or on days where it's been snowy and I can't get to the gym, it is nice to just kind of have those classes,” Meneskie said.

Gregory said for in-person classes, students have to pre-register for the class to make sure the number of participants stays within the university’s COVID-19 guidelines. Participants and instructors also have to wear masks throughout the class and practice social distancing. He said they are providing hand sanitizer, hand towels and cleaning solution to all participants to ensure all the equipment is wiped down.

The number of classes that are back-to-back has also decreased to limit traffic in Ping’s studios, Meneskie said. There is always an hour or more in between each class, and at the end of the day, maintenance cleans every room to ensure everything is ready for the next day.

Brittany Barten, assistant director of Operations and Engagement at Campus Recreation, said Ping currently has a capacity of 150 people. Barten also said it is only open to members and students enrolled on the Athens campus. Face masks are required at all times.

“Most patrons are unaware that masks are required at all times, including during physical activity,” Barten said in an email. “I think this is due to the large variations in policies at commercial gym facilities and recreation facilities.”

A deep cleaning of equipment is done after hours, and sanitizing is done every two hours during the day in the open space, Barten said. Ping also requests patrons wipe down equipment after personal use. 

Gregory and Menskie both said there haven’t been any issues with class participants not following COVID-19 guidelines.

“I think everyone understands at this point that masks aren't the preferred option, but if it were to be what happens to continue doing these classes, then everyone's more than willing to keep their masks on while at the facility,” Meneskie said.

Especially amid the coronavirus pandemic, exercise can have a lot of physical and mental benefits, Gregory said. 

“Students are navigating challenging times where they're having to go through classes virtually,” Gregory said. “They're going through a lot of mental struggles, and I think exercise … is allowing them to fuel that as an outlet for them to continue to stay optimistic and positive.”

@E_SkidmoreGS

es320518@ohio.edu