Ohio University's setter Vera Giacomazzi sets the ball in a game against University at Buffalo that would lead to victory for the Bobcats on Thursday, Feb. 11, 2021.

Volleyball: Instant reactions to Ohio's 3-0 win against Buffalo

The Ohio Bobcats (3-2, 3-2 Mid-American Conference) took on Buffalo (0-7, 0-7 Mid-American Conference) tonight in a conference matchup at The Convo Thursday night. The Bobcats defeated the Bulls 3-0 after a long-fought match in which the Bobcats spent much time down. Errors plagued both sides of the court throughout the match but did not stop the teams from showing their talents. 

Here are some instant reactions to Ohio’s 3-0 (25-15, 25-21, 25-23) win against Buffalo.

Jimerson may be off the court, but she’s still present

The Bobcats showed their team strength tonight in the wake of Jimerson’s absence. They were able to continue putting up points in big moments despite not having the powerful swing of the senior. As Jimerson’s presence shifted to being off the court, she did not lose her vocalness. Her voice was strong in communicating to her teammates and encouraging them through tough sets. 

Ohio’s nerves can get the best of them

During the second and third set, Ohio had several miscues that caused Buffalo to make a comeback and eventually overcome the Bobcats’ lead. When the pressure was on, the tough defense began to crumble due to a reliance on DS/L Sam Steele. In moments where she cannot get the coverage, there is a clear scramble to make something happen from the rest of the team. There are holes in the Bobcats’ coverage that opens up scoring moments for their opponents. Not knowing what to do with that space in those moments caused issues for the Bobcats against Buffalo. 

No-mercy Mariana

OH Mariana Rodrigues has been electric for the Bobcats so far this season. She attacks the net each opportunity she can offensively and defensively. Her abilities on the court have helped the Bobcats all season. Tonight, she came up big in several moments for the Bobcats during sets two and three. 

Ohio will face the Bulls again Friday Feb. 12 at 2 p.m. in The Convo. The Bobcats will be looking to pick up another win and better their record in the MAC. 

@ashleybeachy_

ab026319@ohio.edu