Police Blotter: Man slowly loses money in bank account; mail scattered on the road

False Alarm

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded Monday to an activated alarm on State Route 550 in Athens. When deputies arrived, they searched around the outside of the building. They did not find any evidence of a crime occurring. 

An employee later responded and checked inside of the building, finding nothing wrong. It was determined this was a false alarm. 

Missing Package

A missing package report from the postmaster Monday was taken by Athens County Sheriff’s Office. The caller said a package had been delivered to an incorrect location. 

Deputies were unable to find the package. There are no further leads on the incident.

Attempted Theft

Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to an attempted vehicle theft report Monday on State Route 13. The caller said around 3 a.m., someone attempted to steal his car.

The caller did not want to pursue the issue at that time, but did request extra patrols in the area.

You’ve got mail

A report was taken over the phone Monday by Athens County Sheriff’s Office for mail being tampered with. 

The caller said the mail of her and some neighbors were scattered in the road. 

It is unknown if any of the mail was stolen.

Disappearing Funds

Athens County Sheriff’s Office received a report Tuesday of money being taken from a man’s bank account. The man said he noticed fraudulent activity on his bank account while doing his taxes. 

He said $435.96 was taken from his account since April 6, 2020. He said he never lets others use his card and had already informed his bank, but needed a report on file in order to get his money back.

The man did not wish to pursue the issue at that time.

@AnnaMillar16

am157219@ohio.edu