Student Senate meeting in Walter Hall, on Feb. 26, 2020. (FILE)

Student Senate: Students speak about sexual assault following Kalyango recommendation

Many students spoke at Student Senate Wednesday about sexual assault in light of Faculty Senate’s original recommendation to reinstate Yusuf Kalyango. 

Treasurer Becky Ivan spoke about plans for future legislation by Student Senate regarding the issue and about a petition that demands the termination of Kalyango’s tenure. Other presentations and information regarding the topic of sexual assault prevention and resources were shared at the meeting as well. 

Kalyango was found to have sexually harassed multiple students by the Title IX office at Ohio University. He was found responsible for sexaul harassment by quid pro quo and sexual harassment by hostile work environment by OU’s Office of Equity and Civil Rights Compliance. 

Elaina Tartal, Student Senate’s Chief of Staff, was very proud of the student representation during Faculty Senate on Feb. 8. During this meeting, the original recommendation was withdrawn by Faculty Senate. Senators said there will be a new recommendation sometime in the future. 

“I wanted to mention how incredibly proud I am of everyone in the senate working so hard this week and I am so proud to see everyone at the Faculty Senate Meeting,” Tartal said. 

Student Senate Treasurer Becky Ivan spoke about a letter campaign to the Board of Trustees that she and other members of senate have been working on. 

“In this letter, we demand that the Board of Trustees uphold their responsibilities and to do so by believing and supporting survivors, listening to the needs of the students, and not reinstating Yusuf Kalyango as a tenured faculty member here at Ohio University,” Ivan said. 

This letter was tweeted by Student Senate so that other students can copy and paste the document, add their name to it and email it to trustees@ohio.edu if they want to show their support. 

Maggie Old, President of the Women’s Panhellenic Association at OU, also spoke out during the student speakout portion of the meeting regarding Faculty Senate’s decision. 

“A question that I would like you all to consider is why we have the Title IX office and process if it can easily get overturned by the untrained Faculty Senate committee,” Old said. 

Additionally, Old spoke about the impact that the recommendation would have if it is upheld by the Board of Trustees. 

“The decision to let a man who was proven to have sexually harassed two women students keep his job and his tenure will do the following things: empower professors who are tenured to continue abusing their power, scare survivors into not reporting these horrible actions,” Old said. “Most importantly, this decision will show all students, alumni, women, and survivors that the university does not stand with survivors,” 

Resources and information were also provided during the meeting. Cali Leasure, the Women’s Affairs Commissioner in the senate, shared a presentation on Better Bystanders.

Her presentation focused on how to be a better bystander and resources for students who want to be more educated on the issue. Additionally, she provided many safety and support resources for students in general as well as students who have experienced sexual assault. 

In addition to the presentation, each member of senate who gives a report, including President Ian Carter II, VP Elizabeth Lily and Ivan, provided sexual assault resources and shared their support for survivors of sexual assault. 

“Student Senate believes, supports, and stands with survivors,” Carter II said. 

Senate also passed resolutions to appoint people to various positions.  Esther Aulis-Cabrera was appointed a Senator to the Committee on the Budget and Carissa Nickell was appointed a Women’s Affairs Senator to the Student Senate. 

Additionally, two people were appointed to the Academic Affairs Committee, Mira Parsons as Vice Commissioner and Andrew Cornelison as a College of Arts and Sciences Senator. 

Molly Davis, LGBTQ+ Affairs Commissioner in the senate, talked about Pride Week coming up in March and that specific activities and events planned by the LGBTQ commission for that month will be announced soon. 

“We have pride week from March 1 to March 5 and we are very excited for our week of events,” Davis said. 

@colvin_lydia

lc844519@ohio.edu