Photo provided via @lostflamingos on Twitter.

The Lost Flamingo Company adapts to COVID-19, returns with spring shows

Ohio University's original entirely student-run theatre organization, the Lost Flamingo Company, or LFC, is proud to announce its Spring Semester productions. Audiences can expect nothing less than innovative entertainment from its upcoming performances. 

Like for many, the past year did not go as planned for LFC. However, it persevered, taking time to adapt to a virtual setting.

"LFC has conducted all our work virtually since the beginning of the pandemic,” Kyle Nienaber, LFC vice president, said in an email. “We had to cancel the shows we were working on last spring, and we spent last semester brainstorming and getting prepared to do our shows virtually this semester. It's been a weird adjustment, but this semester, we really wanted to allow our company to be involved in theatre again, and it's going well!" 

Hailey Linenkugel, PR director of LFC, sees the challenges presented by COVID-19 as a learning experience.

"The biggest lesson I've learned through working in virtual theatre is that making something happen requires much time – not waiting, but putting yourself to work and asking for help when you need it,” Linenkugel said in an email. “This lesson will apply in my future because being determined and a go-getter means creating what you need. When you have access to the proper resources and you know how to use them, you can create something amazing for the people around you."

LFC will be presenting four shows this Spring Semester but not in their traditional stage setting. Due to COVID-19, the shows will be streamed via YouTube. 

A thrilling drama, Tracks, will be streamed March 13 and 14. The play is about 10 dead strangers from around the country converging at one subway station. In conversations of life and death and recalling the good and the bad, each character must decide whether they want to get on the next train without knowing where the final destination will be.

The Door, an eerie play about a grandmother and her grandson, will be streaming March 20 and 21. Ouroboros, a play about a weekly Zoom call in which four high school friends keep in touch over college, will be streaming March 27 and 28. The whodunnit comedy Clue will stream April 10 and 11. In this final installment of the spring program, six colorful characters discover they're all suspects of a dinner-party murder at their host's lavish mansion. 

Linenkugel is the writer of Ouroboros

"When imagining Ouroboros, I thought of all the different reasons people use group video chat, and I landed on high school friends keeping in touch as they go to college,” Linenkugel said in an email. “The online video-chat is an interesting format because the audience can't see what happens in the character's lives outside of Monday evenings – it leaves room for ambiguity and mystery.”

Stay up-to-date with all the latest LFC information through its Instagram @lostflamingotheatreco, Twitter @lostflamingos, and Facebook Lost Flamingo Theatre Company

@colant_juliana

jc079419@ohio.edu