Photo provided via Jennifer Toth and the "You know you went to OU if..." Facebook page.

‘You know you went to OU if…’ Facebook page fosters connection, reminisces college life

Part of the appeal of Ohio University is the community it creates. As one of the selling points, students are often told they will be Bobcats for life. Between OU’s Homecoming celebration and active alumni association, OU and Athens are never very far from students’ hearts.

In the digital age and with the COVID-19 pandemic, active students and OU alumni are looking for more ways to stay in contact with their alma mater. 

Enter Erick Odom and the “You know you went to OU if…” Facebook page.

“I really want people from all generations who will tell you, Bobcats and everything, who just enjoy reminiscing about the ‘good old days,’” Odom said.

Odom graduated in 2005 and left Athens in 2006. While in school, he studied broadcast journalism with a minor in political science, real estate and political communications. Now Odom is a high school political science teacher in The Bronx, who finds every opportunity to meet up with his college friends and revisit their old stomping grounds in Athens.

In 2011, Odom was looking for a way to further connections between OU students. Around that time, the “you know you went to (insert place here) if…” or “you know you’re from (insert place here) if…” trends were circulating the web, and Odom decided to follow suit. He created a Facebook page called “You know you went to OU if…,” and invited some of his friends to join.

Originally, anyone who wanted to join could do so. However, he switched it to a request to join format due to many spam members joining. 

Now, 10 years later, the group has over 11,600 members.

“I didn't realize it would take off that much,” Odom said. “Aside from the official groups, I think we're one of the largest, aside from OU’s own page and stuff like that. And it really brings me joy and happiness.”

Odom welcomes all posts about OU memories, Athens happenings or general introductions between members. What he does not welcome, however, are hateful, political or negative posts.

“I don't want it to turn into a political group, unless somebody’s posting a memory like ‘Remember when Barack Obama came to campus’... then they can post it,” Odom said. “I'm very strict with that – that's the only thing I'll take down. If somebody reports a post of a negative attack, I don't want that. There's plenty of places for that, and I'm very political and I can get political but that's all my own personal time. I don't want that in the group.”

The group ranges from current OU students to even some classes from the 1970s. Though the initial function was to make funny memes out of OU memories using the “You know you went to OU if…” format, it’s transitioned into more of a format to generally reminisce and meet other OU students.

Matt Kliot, class of 2006 with a degree in video productions, remembers the early days of the Facebook group when every single post began with the group’s name.

“It was a fun game to come up with clever things,” Kliot said in a message. “After FB changed the format of posts, the group became a way to keep up on the goings on of Athens beyond what might be in (The Post) or (The Athens Messenger) which is more of how I see its function than reminiscing… though I have noticed older classes tend to use it that way, as well as to help reconnect as they didn't have the advantage of building their friends list while they attended.”

Another member, William Tarter Jr., joined as one of the original members with Odom. He received a bachelor’s of science in communications in 2005 and received his master’s in public administration in 2007, both at OU.

Tarter Jr. loves when people’s stories from OU spark other memories and experiences. Just a few weeks ago, there was a thread about Resident Assistants, and he was able to share how his now-wife and himself were both RAs in school and are celebrating their 10 year wedding anniversary this year.

“It’s a great place, also, for answers about places and institutions that may have been around during their time, as well as reminisce about things that are no longer there,” Tarter Jr. said. “Anyone reading that page quickly notices that people who post on the page carry a love for Ohio University everywhere they go, and for their entire life.”

Odom, Kliot and Tarter Jr. feel that remembering fun times you’ve had can greatly help your mental health. More than anything, Odom just hopes the Facebook page brings joy to everyone who joins.

“When you're in college, it’s the one time where you're around a group of people who are your own age, you have almost total freedom, relatively speaking, and so these are the good times,” Odom said. “I'm not saying this is the peak of someone’s life, but these are the great times that you look back on and you're gonna make friends that you have for life. People love reminiscing about the good times–no one hates recalling past memories that bring a smile to your face. This is pure goodness.”

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu