8 songs to live by this March

Ah, the relief of being able to declare that it is finally March. The feeling is both comforting and bittersweet, considering almost exactly a year ago, the world as we knew it, was completely flipped upside down as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak. 

When reflecting back on this past year, an array of emotions are likely to arise. Whether those feelings are a state of shock, a state of acceptance, sadness, gratefulness or confusion, one can cue our March playlist in hopes of inspiring new outlooks on life, more inner peace and optimism for what spring and the rest of the warmer months will elicit. With that being said, here are eight songs to live by this month: 

“How Are You True” by Cage the Elephant 

If a song could check in on you to see how you are doing and coping with your current season of life, it would be Cage the Elephant’s ambient and reassuring track, “How Are You True.”

If you’ve been feeling as if times aren’t looking up, turn to this tune to remind yourself that tranquility is in your future, as the band sings, “The light will guide you home, yes it will / Oh the years, they turn so fast / Soon the present will be the past and you'll look back and laugh.” Remain idealistic. As the flowers begin to blossom once again, so will your attitude and demeanor. 

“Solo Dance” by Martin Jensen 

The onset of the spring season means leaving the depressing music in the bleaker months and reverting back to playing those danceable, fun-loving songs no one can resist. Trust me, these will hit much differently as the sun beams through the window or against your face than a breakup song ever will. 

“Solo Dance” emphasizes enjoying life alone. There is no reason to depend on anyone but you, and don’t forget it, as the next couple of months could potentially be the ones you value your transformative alone time most. 

“Money, Love, Success” by Annabel Jones 

Manifest earning all of the above things this next month: money, love and success. What could be better? If you’re happiest with a significant other that is only uplifting you in the best possible way, see if you two also do “money, love and success” the best, similar to Jones and her partner, because if you don’t, well you should strive to. Let that be an inspiration for you and your significant other. 

“Our Own House” by MisterWives

This month, and the next...and the next, we are romanticizing only healthy relationships. In this upbeat, positive, lively indie bop, the MisterWives are able to encourage anyone, that if they can find home within their lover, they will simply “never fall apart,” a conception every couple should aspire to do. 

For the singles, blast this song as a sign to never settle for less than the real deal. Let’s be real; a lot of our lonely souls did exactly that in quarantine, but no more of that nonsense. 

“Alive” by Role Model 

Spring is all about nature rejuvenating itself and coming back to life once more. Role Model embodies this sensation as he sings about feeling alive “for the first time in a long time,” an undeniably refreshing pleasure. 

Tucker Pillsbury professes that he could honestly “run for miles” and that he’s “on top” and ready to be that uplifting, supportive individual everyone needs in their life. If you, too, have been feeling inexplicably dead and drained inside, take this as your signal to find the energy within you to better yourself and your mental health, because it matters. 

“Miss Summer” by Odie 

Nothing, literally nothing, beats a summer romance. In this wistful, nostalgic song about a girl, “Miss Summer,” simply plaguing Odie’s mind to the point he is dreaming about her, even though he knows she’ll break his heart, proves just how captivating the idea of someone can be -- something a lot of people find themselves getting easily caught up in.

In hopes everyone finds that young, summer love that’s depicted in movies and everyone dreams of having, let “Miss Summer” remind you that it can also leave you aching, despite the rush and liveliness it stimulates within. Nonetheless, it’s a song that can purely carry you away into a whimsical state. 

“I Don’t Want U Back” by BORNS

Maybe the past few months have done nothing but kick you down, again and again whether in part due to a breakup, a cheater, a friendship gone wrong or just life in general, “I Don’t Want U Back,” by none other than the soft but robust BORNS, is the anthem for you. 

Blast this to convince yourself you are better off without whatever/whoever it was that caused you great trouble. Spring is your time to rebrand without past toxicity. Don’t resist the change the uncomfortableness of being alone will evoke. 

“Lay It On Me” by Vance Joy 

Vance Joy’s track “Lay It On Me” should make everyone feel safe. Some of us have a lot of trauma, demons and secrets stored away within us that can leave us with walls built up, but Vance Joy asks to be let into an individual’s soul, as he confidently sings that it will only strengthen their relationship.

If you often find yourself keeping emotions bottled up, remember going forward it is OK to share parts of you with someone special if they prove to be worthwhile, not everything in the world is scary, and the sun beginning to shine and the leaves turning green again prove just that.

@emmadollenmayer 

ed569918@ohio.edu