The Athens City Building sits at 8 E. Washington St. 

City Council: 72 hour parking passes discussed; Union Street Downtown Redevelopment District created

City Council met in committee Monday to discuss allowing 72 hour parking passes to be used for all of Athens’ streets. 

Currently, the city has a pilot program in place for 72 hour parking that serves eight citizens, Councilman Peter Kotses, D-At Large, said. Kotses also said Athens residents will be able to purchase a permit for 72 hour parking if they qualify for the existing prerequisites from the original pilot program. Those prerequisites include being able to prove you do not have more than one off-street parking space at your residence.

The current pilot program for 72 hour parking is costing the city money, Kotses said.

“Currently right now, to purchase those permits and only provide them to eighth people, the city is spending more money than what the program produces,” Kotses said.

Councilmember Arian Smedley, D-1st Ward, expressed her approval for the expansion of the pilot program.

“It started as a pilot, became an ordinance and it’s being managed very well,” Smedley said. “Given some feedback that we’ve received from constituents, this was an opportunity to expand a successful program city-wide.” 

Council also passed an ordinance allowing the creation of the Union Street Downtown Redevelopment District, or DRD. The DRD allows Athens to redevelop around historic buildings, according to a previous Post report.

The City Building was also discussed in committee, as it has leaks in the roof. Some of those leaks are above technology within the Council Chamber, Councilman Sam Crowl, D-3rd ward, said. 

Athens Mayor Steve Patterson stressed the importance of getting the roof fixed.

“We are looking at several options, but there is a critical need to this,” Patterson said. “We need to get that roof repaired for our historic City Hall Building.”

Council also passed an ordinance that amends Athens’ City Code to include more inclusive language.

@kyraleckrone

kl290617@ohio.edu