Ohio University freshmen Katie McManus and Tatiana Lipert walk across the College Green in their first days on campus on Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2021.

Bobcat Well-Being provides students with resources for mental, physical health

Ohio University’s Bobcat Well-Being program is bringing awareness to the importance of both physical and mental wellness and taking care of oneself during these unprecedented times. With the coronavirus pandemic and the stress that it brings, the program is offering more ways to get involved virtually. 

“During COVID, we have really been shifting our focus to a more holistic approach on well-being, and put out different programs for different populations to serve different students’ needs,” Mark Ferguson, associate dean of students for well-being, said.

OU offers numerous resources that can boost well-being both mentally and physically, such as the Student Writing Center and the Meditation Room. There is also a guide to tips on well-being covering various topics. 

Student Well-Being Coaching is a free service being offered that can help with many things such as water intake, time and stress management, physical activity and nutrition. Students can start by filling out a coaching request form, so that specific needs can be targeted. The appointments are virtual and are offered in both individual and group settings. 

Another program the initiative provides is personal training for only $10.00 a month. It is currently being offered online and sign-up requires a survey to find a program that is the best fit.

“A lot of the opportunities we have right now are included in (students’) tuition,” Julia Ambrozy, co-president of the student engagement team, said. “So for example, going to group fitness classes at Ping is a great place to get those positive endorphins and good hormones.”

Ambrozy also recommends checking out Outdoor Pursuits where there is a rock climbing wall, as well as going to the OU Golf and Tennis Center which just opened on March 1, or even swimming laps at the OU Aquatic Center.

Ohio Well-Being is offering a series of webinars that can give students some helpful tips and tricks on living healthier. The next session is March 10 at 12 p.m. and the topic is Overcoming Your Imposter Syndrome. More information on future webinars and how to sign up as well as recordings of previous webinars can be found here

“If you’re struggling at home, trying to be physically active, de-stress, or trying to find ways to get through it all, our website provides a number of resources for you to be able to do that,” Wes Bonadio, director of well-being and recreation, said. 

De-Stress with Campus Recreation and Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS) are holding a virtual Mindfulness Session on April 1 from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. According to the website, the class will help attendees release tension through a mixture of meditation, pranayama and asana. 

“You do not have to be an expert in well-being, you just need to know and understand yourself and what is important to you, but then also be able to acknowledge that you can care and support the well-being of others, and everybody does it in a different way,” Bonadio said. 

Ferguson said it is important to look out for one another, and not just one’s individual well-being, and think about those in the community and how one’s actions are affecting those people impacts the greater community and other students. 

“I think the other thing that we think about is, we can't expect students to interact with every one of our departments,” Ferguson said. “So how do we support them, regardless of where they connect and where they find their place? There are still the same supports there for them without having to go to each individual department to get the specific thing they're interested in. We all have a role to play in supporting our students.”

@MaryJaneSanese

ms943920@ohio.edu