The Athens City-County Health Department on West Union St.

Coronavirus: 4,711 cases, 50 deaths; phase 1D and 2B eligible for vaccine

Athens County reported 47 new COVID-19 cases in the past week, bringing the total case count to 4,711. Athens remains in the red zone, or level 3, for virus exposure and spread. 

Two residents were hospitalized due to COVID-19, and one death was reported. Athens County’s death count currently stands at 50 while changes in mortality reporting take place in Ohio. 

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine announced last week that Ohioans ages 50 and older are now eligible to receive COVID-19 vaccinations as well as individuals in phase 1D. Phase 1D includes individuals with Type 2 diabetes and end-stage renal disease. The new eligible groups come following an influx of vaccinations to the state and are expected to include approximately 1.4 million Ohioans. 

DeWine also announced the availability of a new centralized vaccine scheduling website, which allows Ohioans to confirm their eligibility, determine local providers and schedule appointments. To date, 4,602 Athenians have received one dose of a coronavirus vaccine, while 3,697 are fully vaccinated. 

According to the university’s COVID-19 dashboard, a daily positivity rate of less than 1% was reported among students within the last week. 

All but one of OU’s residence halls are at the yellow level for COVID-19. Bromley Hall is the only residence halls at the orange level, reporting a 0.3% seven-day positivity rate among residents. 

University quarantine and isolation dorms’ occupancies stand at 1.54% and 1.68%, respectively. 

@sophielisey 

sy951319@ohio.edu