The Athens City-County Health Department on West Union St.

Coronavirus: Athens County passes 4,600 cases, 33 total deaths reported

This week, Athens County reached 4,631 COVID-19 cases, adding 95 from the previous week. There are currently 341 active cases, and Athens County remains at the red level, indicating very high exposure and spread.  

The total death toll stands at 33 after three COVID-19 related deaths were reported in the past week. Two of the deaths were individuals 80 or older. The other was in the 50-59 age range. 

Athens ICU beds are at 65.15% capacity, with 9.09% occupied by coronavirus patients as of Feb. 23. 

Ohioans ages 70 and older and K-12 employees that wish to remain or return to in-person or hybrid learning models became eligible for the vaccine Feb. 1.

So far, 3,692 Athenians have received the first dose of the coronavirus vaccine, while 2,685 are fully vaccinated. There are currently 11 vaccination sites in Athens. You can find more information on vaccination site locations and eligibility here

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine announced Saturday that there will be a COVID-19 Vaccine Town Hall meeting for rural Ohioans on Tuesday, March 2 from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Ohioans will have the opportunity to have questions answered about the vaccine by medical experts, community leaders and public health professionals. Those interested can tune in live or watch after the event via Facebook, YouTube or online.

DeWine also announced that sporting and entertainment events will be able to reopen with 25% indoor capacity and 30% outdoor capacity. Mask wearing and social distancing will still be required.

Ohio will receive 310,000 doses of the Moderna and Pfizer coronavirus vaccines this week and is expected to receive 91,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine once it is available. 

Ohio University has totaled 1,163 coronavirus cases so far and reports a 1.2% seven-day positivity rate for on-campus students. Currently, 20 of the 29 dorms are at the yellow level, and nine are at the orange level, according to the University’s COVID-19 Dashboard.

Quarantine housing is at 7.14% capacity and isolation housing is at 15.13% capacity, as of Feb. 25. 

@sophielisey

sy951319@ohio.edu