Senior Jaime Kosiorek goes up to spike the ball while playing Samford University in the first game of the Bobcat Invitational. (FILE)

Volleyball: Instant reactions to Ohio's 3-1 win over Kent State

Ohio (10-7, 10-7 MAC) picked up another regular season and conference win Tuesday night against the Kent State Golden Flashes (12-8, 12-8 MAC). The match was a one-off since the Bobcats had already faced the Flashes earlier in the season. Ohio took the match 3-1, giving them the win in their final home match of the season. 

Here are some instant reactions to Ohio’s 3-1 (23-25, 25-13, 26-24, 25-23) win over Kent State: 

Reihing’s Control 

Macy Reihing is a senior on the Bobcats squad, and she plays like a true veteran. Several loose balls would come her way, and she would instantly control them with grace. Her ability to absorb the power from the ball and produce a clean pass helped setter Vera Giacomazzi place the ball in better locations for the hitters. She showed no fear in the match and even took a ball to the chest to keep a rally alive. Head Coach Deane Webb has been habitually putting her in whenever the Bobcats need extra defensive support, and her presence has been helpful in securing points for the Bobcats. 

Talk, Talk, Talk

Ohio is not known for strong communication, and its past few opponents have been extremely verbal. Miscommunication and the lack thereof always comes back to bite the Bobcats because they give their opponents free points through their mistakes. Also, the match momentum swings toward the team with the most energy, and when the Bobcats are not talking, they give the edge to their opponent. 

The main source of communication for the Bobcats is Tia Jimerson. Whether she be on the court or on the bench, she is the loudest and most intense player for the Bobcats. Her constant reminder to the other players to talk is not always put into action by her teammates, and it shows. Communication overall is better for Ohio when Jimerson is on the court. 

ISO: Intensity

The Bobcats had energy in the first, second and fourth sets, but it was missing in the third. They were coming off a 25-13 set win going into the third, and the Bobcats were one set away from the match sweep. Ohio dropped set three 26-24, and it seemed as if it was defeated before the set was halfway done. On the other hand, the Golden Flashes were radiating energy from all sides. 

The Flashes had the need to win, and they showed it in their intensity on the court. The Bobcats began to make errors right and left after Kent picked up its energy. This is not the first time this season that the Bobcats have crumbled under the intensity of their opponents, as they did it before in a March 4 loss to Ball State. Ohio is used to feeding off the fans, but with limited attendance, the Bobcats need to find new ways to create their own energy heading into the post-season.

Farwell, Vera Giacomazzi

Today was senior day in The Convo for Giacomazzi. The Italy native went out in style in her final match in The Convo, racking up 47 assists. She also had 13 digs, tying her with Macy Reihing for the most on the team. She is also the setter of the week for the Mid-American Conference. Giacomazzi’s career is not over yet, though, as the Bobcats still have one more week of regular season play. 

@ashleybeachy_

ab026319@ohio.edu