Netflix implements new test for account security; Bobcat Student Orientation will be in-person with several adjustments

Today is Friday, March 12, 2021. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning,

Sharing streaming platform passwords used to be good and fun, but as users forget who has what password, making sure your account is truly and only yours can be difficult. Netflix, the global streaming service for television, movies and short skits has set its sights on solving this issue through an incoming verification system.

The test is designed just as any other confirmation code system, but would require the user with access to the registered email to provide the code. Failure to enter the required verification code within the allotted time would prohibit the user from streaming any content and would direct them to create their own account.

The test is currently only in effect for a small number of users directly using the Netflix TV app, not to every user of the service around the world. Last month, the streaming service recorded 200 million users, but with more users comes more password sharing, including parties that may not be welcome on an account.

Should the test roll out to a large audience, current streaming plans may need to be adjusted to families in atypical alignments that may prevent them from all living under the same roof. The platform has shown interest in discouraging password sharing, but was actively looking for ways to enforce the measure.

News from The Post:

Bobcat student orientation will return in-person, but groups will look very different. (The Post)

‘Forever OHIO’ launched in 2021 for students and alumni, here’s a day in the life of an OHIO alumni. (The Post)

OU’s Reach and Legacy art exhibits work together in highlighting digital art in the Athens community. (The Post)

Athens Weather

The sun has come and gone. Today’s high will be 63 degrees with cloudy skies and a chance of rain. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

Poland has “LGBT-free” zones, the entirety of the EU is now an “LGBTQI freedom zone.” (BBC)

The Perseverance rover is zapping rocks on Mars and adding to our knowledge. (CNN

The royal interview with Oprah shook a monarchy and dusted off age-old unpleasantries in the British monarchy. (NYT)

@JackHiltner 

jh396418@ohio.edu  

Jack Hiltner

Digital Director