Nick Jonas released his latest album ‘Spaceman’ on March 12, 2020. (Photo provided via @nickjonas on Instagram)

Album Review: Nick Jonas’ 'Spaceman' is a catchy, relatable summary of life during the pandemic

Last week on March 12, 2021, Nick Jonas released Spaceman, his first studio album since Last Year was Complicated, in 2016. The album is a combination of songs dealing heavily with themes related to the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as love and the complications of daily life. 

In an interview with Apple Music, the singer commented on his process of tying the album together in a way that summed up his experience during quarantine and the pandemic. 

“The key for me was trying to find a way to give this idea a persona, give it a name. So ‘Spaceman’ kind of came into my mind as I was thinking, ‘What’s the one thing that all of us have felt during this time? Completely disconnected from the world,‘”Jonas said. 

Jonas introduced and performed two of his new songs, “Spaceman” and “This Is Heaven” when he hosted and performed as musical guest on Saturday Night Live on Feb. 27. 

Besides Jonas’s solo albums, he is most known for being lead vocals for the Jonas Brothers, the popular band formed with his older brothers, Kevin and Joe Jonas. The pop rock group released their album, Happiness Begins in 2019. The album included their hit single, “Sucker,” which was considered one of the top summer songs of 2019. 

Here are the five best songs from Nick Jonas’ Spaceman ranked:

5. “If I Fall”

“If I Fall” is a passionate, soulful song about falling in love and a revelation of how it has the potential to be the relationship that lasts the rest of one’s life. The song addresses the person of affection, and explains how he was not expecting to fall in love the way he is. The soft beat and mid-tempo pace creates a beautiful track accompanied by intense and emotional lyrics. 

4. 2Drunk

“2Drunk” is a perfect summation of the experience of loneliness and lack of structure during the pandemic. The lyrics “Turn the TV off / make the bed / Oh my God, it's five, once again” are a very relatable representation of the lack of awareness and schedule during America’s time at home. The upbeat tune and playful lyrics make for a great song to relate to the pandemic without making it too serious and solemn. 

3. “This is Heaven”

“This is Heaven” is a cheerful, optimistic song that Jonas claims as a “love letter” to his wife, Priyanka Chopra Jonas. The song speaks about how being in love creates a sense of safety, faith and adventure when with the right person. The jazzy notes of the saxophone and choir in the background throughout the track create a catchy song that you’ll want on the top of your playlists for weeks to come. 

2. “Spaceman”

As the track the album is named after, it proves to be almost representative of the album in its entirety. This track is one of the more serious ones on the album. As another song themed by the pandemic, Nick Jonas uses the metaphor of being a “spaceman’ to express his feelings of loneliness and isolation during the trying time.  

He sings, “Mask off minute I get home / All safe now that I'm alone / Almost like a spaceman / I feel like a spaceman.” This is just one instance of the lyrics that relate to these feelings of self isolation and not fitting in. This track is a great one to have on your playlist while in an emotional state, without getting too depressing or deep. 

1. “Delicious

The best song on the album, “Delicious,” is the perfect song to jam to while in the shower or having a dance party in your kitchen. The song has a very ‘80s feel to it, with classic horn instruments within the whole track. “Delicious” is a suggestive, sex-positive track with a catchy beat and clever lyrics. 

While Nick Jonas has taken a break from his solo work over the past few years, with Spaceman he is back and proving his solo work is just as amazing as it has ever been. 

Rating: 4.5/5

@MaryBergs10

Mb690617@ohio.edu