Haley Miller (#10) drives the ball down the field during the Ohio University home game at Peden Stadium in Athens, Ohio, on March 4, 2021. The Bobcats lost to the Redhawks 0-1.

Soccer: Ohio looks to get its season back on track against Akron this weekend

Ohio lost its first two games of this shortened season 1-0 last weekend, and it needs to get back on track quickly. The Bobcats have an opportunity to do so against Akron this Sunday.

Here’s everything you need to know:

The Opponent: Akron (0-2, 0-2 MAC)

- Kickoff is scheduled for 4 p.m.

- Akron lost both of their matches last weekend, 3-0 against Bowling Green and 1-0 against Kent State.

- The Zips finished 8-10-2 (5-4-2 MAC) last year and finished 10th in the conference. They did not make the MAC tournament.

- Akron has not beaten Ohio since 2015-16 and each of the last two meetings between the teams has ended in a draw.

Player to Watch: Akron has not scored a goal yet this season, but sophomore midfielder Bailee Bowers leads the Zips in shots.

Notes on the Bobcats:

- After losing their first two games last weekend, Ohio sits at 0-2 (0-2 MAC), tied with Akron at the bottom of the MAC East.

- The Bobcats had a rough opening weekend, dropping their season opener at home against Miami 1-0 on Thursday, and then losing in Bowling Green by the same score in overtime on Sunday.

- Already 20% of the way through this shortened season, the Bobcats need to get rolling soon if they want to have any chance of making the MAC championship game, which will be played between the two division winners at the end of the season.

Player to Watch: Despite Ohio’s offensive ineptitude thus far in the season, their best attacking threat has been sophomore forward Abby Townsend, and if the Bobcats are going to get something against Akron, it will likely come from her.

@willocunningham 

wc425318@ohio.edu