Ohio University's, Erica Johnson (4) goes up for a quick shot with heavy pressure from The University of Toledo's, Hallie Idowu (35) and Sammi Mikonowicz (33), during the home game on Saturday, Jan. 9, 2021 in Athens, Ohio.

Women's Basketball: Numbers to know from Ohio's 95-71 loss against UMass

Ohio finished its season Monday afternoon with a 95-71 loss against UMass in the consolation final of the WNIT Tournament at Bojangles’ Coliseum in Charlotte, North Carolina. The Bobcats (15-10, 11-6 Mid-American Conference) struggled defensively in the loss.

Here are the numbers to know from Ohio’s 95-71 loss:

18 

The most common number of the day was 18. Primarily, Ohio’s two leading scorers CeCe Hooks and Erica Johnson each scored 18 points. The Bobcats also turned the ball over 18 times while only forcing nine turnovers by UMass. Hooks scored her points on 8-of-10 shooting from the field and Johnson shot 6-for-17 all from beyond the arc.

Johnson also had five rebounds and four turnovers. Freshman Madi Mace led Ohio with five steals.

95

The Bobcats allowed a total of 95 points to the Minutemen, the second-highest total of the season (most without including overtime). Forward Sam Breen led all scorers scored a game-high 27 points on 12-for-22 shooting. Her teammate Sydney Taylor also scored 25 points. Two other UMass players put up double-digit points. 

UMass only missed two free-throws while Ohio missed six-of-12. 

9

The Bobcats suffered once again with their Achilles heel: rebounding. Ohio was outrebounded by nine against the Minutemen. Mace led the team with 13 rebounds, but nobody else reached more than five. Ohio has historically struggled with rebounding, since its lineup features mostly guards.

@scott_cthomas11

St610417@ohio.edu