women's soccer preview

Soccer: 2021 season preview

Ohio has waited a long time to step foot on the soccer field again and finally has its opportunity for a season this spring. Coach Aaron Rodgers’ eighth season at the helm commences when the Bobcats face Miami at home on Thursday at 3 p.m.

A look back

The Mid-American Conference made the decision to cancel fall sports in August due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. It was decided that playing was still unsafe for the teams and there were too many unknowns about everything going on. 

The decision wasn’t easy on athletes and the season cancellation made the last time Ohio played a regular season game in November 2019. The Bobcats’ final record for the 2019-2020 season was 11-9-1. Ohio came up short in the MAC Tournament Semifinals after a 5-2 loss to Eastern Michigan. 

Continuing the momentum

The 11 wins Ohio had last season was its most since 2002. The team is looking to build on that momentum into this season. 

Ohio will have to find success and build chemistry early with many new players coming in and getting a feel for what being a part of this team is like. Ohio’s six seniors — Sarina Dirrig, Konstantina Giannou, Paige Knorr, Sydney Malham, Paige Pappanastos and Jenni Santacaterina are the foundation of the team. 

A look ahead

The Bobcats got a glimpse of the game day feeling as well as what the season may bring in a scrimmage against Xavier at the Xavier University Soccer Complex last week. 

Ohio now looks to begin a 10-game conference-only regular season as the 2021 schedule has been cut short and altered because of COVID-19. The Bobcats will play each team in the East Division of the MAC twice with teams including Miami, Bowling Green, Akron, Kent State and Buffalo.

The first game will take place Thursday at home against Miami. The last time the two teams faced off was Oct. 24, 2019 where Ohio came out on top 5-2 in Oxford. The Bobcats look to do the same this week and get a good start to a much awaited season.

The Bobcats need to start strong and keep the momentum going as they look ahead at a chance to play in the MAC Championship game, which will take place April 17. It won’t be easy for the Bobcats to dodge COVID-19, but they will do as much as they can to stay safe and healthy in hopes of a chance in the postseason. 

@mariamonesii

mm017019@ohio.edu