Members of the Student Senate listen to theater students at Ohio University speak out against the poor conditions of Kantner Hall at the Student Senate meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 5, 2019. (FILE)

Student Senate: Body passes resolution to support Collin’s Law, award Bobcat Medal

Ohio University Student Senate met Wednesday evening to discuss a variety of resolutions, including a measure to support an anti-hazing bill.

Collin’s Law, a bill that has recently been reintroduced in the Ohio Senate, broadens the definition of hazing and increases the severity of disciplinary actions for those found guilty of hazing, according to a previous Post report

The resolution was passed in support of Collin’s Law and denounces hazing of any form at Ohio University and beyond.

“This is not a solution (to hazing), but a step in the right direction,” Molly Davis, LGBTQIA+ affairs commissioner and the primary sponsor of the bill, said. “It personally means a lot to me in the Greek community.”

Becky Ivan, treasurer and secondary sponsor of the bill, urged her fellow senators to vote for the bill.  

“As it currently stands, hazing is a fourth degree misdemeanor. That's the same as getting two traffic violations within a year, and I hope you can see that person being put into situations that can result in death should never be the legal equivalent of getting caught speeding twice within 12 months,” Ivan said. “Any student who dies at the hands of their organization's brothers or sisters deserves justice, and a fourth degree misdemeanor does not do that.”

Later in the evening, the Bobcat Medal Committee announced their decision to award Ariel Tarosky, director of Sorority and Fraternity Life, with the 2021 Bobcat Medal. 

“I've had the privilege to work with Ariel…and I genuinely cannot think of a better person for this award,” Elizabeth Lilly, vice president, said. “She goes above and beyond for the students.”

Senate also voted to appoint three new members, including two students to the Senate Appropriations Commission, or SAC. 

Austin Nutter and Cheosung O’Brien were both appointed to SAC. Emily Walsh, a senator of athletics, was appointed to the University Life Commission.

At the very end of the meeting, Chief of Staff Elaina Tartal delivered a message on the recent deadly attacks against Asian Americans in Atlanta. 

“I just wanted to say that Student Senate stands with students of Asian descent and Asian American students,” Tartal said. “These violent acts were horrific, and ultimately, at a time when all of us should be more united than anything, it's disheartening to hear that there is still so much hate in the world.”

@ryanmaxin

rm554219@ohio.edu