Baker Center on Ohio University's campus is home to many important offices such as the Multicultural Center, student senate offices and much more that all freshman should get to know.

Candidates speak about qualifications, ideas for student accessibility during OU Student Senate executive debate

Candidates for Student Senate leadership positions spoke about their qualifications and ideas for becoming more accessible to students during an executive debate Tuesday evening.

The meeting was held through a public Microsoft Teams meeting and included six of the eight executive candidates in the running. Chief Justice Mason Link, a junior studying chemical engineering, moderated the debate, and audience members could submit forms through Bobcat Connect to request questions for consideration. The meeting was recorded. 

The meeting began with opening statements from the executive candidates in attendance. 

The candidates of the Build Together ticket included presidential candidate Maxeen Ramlo, a junior studying mechanical engineering, and treasurer candidate Simar Kalkat, a sophomore studying finance, business analytics and economics. 

The candidates of the Athens Advocacy ticket included vice presidential candidate Elaina Tartal, a junior studying political science and sociology-criminology, and treasurer candidate Emily Ertle, a junior studying finance, business economics and business pre-law. 

The independent candidates included vice presidential candidate Richard Danylo, a junior studying chemical engineering and computer science, and vice presidential candidate Brogan Speraw, a senior studying mechanical engineering.

Link asked the candidates how they plan on addressing students’ concerns as the university returns to in-person programming in the fall. Tartal said her ticket has plans to create an all-inclusive OU app for students to utilize to stay involved and safe while on campus that would consolidate the several university apps many students have downloaded. 

A common theme with the candidates was to keep the accessibility and flexibility that came with online classes. Getting students involved once on campus next semester while still keeping them safe was repeatedly mentioned. 

Another question brought up the need for executives to connect with the student body so as to best represent them. It was met by candidates' plans to look beyond their bubbles to meet students where they are. Ertle said she would like to utilize social media to the fullest extent and continue the use of the current student senate suggestion box she introduced this year. 

Link asked the candidates to explain how they were best suited to the duties of their respective executive position and how to represent OU students. Most candidates spoke about their involvement in student organizations and experience within Student Senate. Speraw said his passion for being a Bobcat allows him to represent the study body. 

When asked about their plans to work with the university administration to communicate students options and concerns, Ramlo said she would like to reintroduce a student-president’s council so OU’s student organizations can be in direct contact with the Student Senate, and problems can be addressed immediately. 

The candidates mostly spoke on their communication skills and previous experiences fighting for voices to be heard, whether it was their own or other students’. 

The final question, proposed by current Vice President Elizabeth Lilly, asked candidates how they manage their time, stay organized and motivate those around them. 

Most candidates spoke about their organizational skills and what they do to encourage others. Kalkat said she believes being able to deal with the obstacles and adapt is an important quality for staying accountable. Danylo said he plans to go all out and use teamwork as a strategy within his administration to keep all executives motivated. 

The meeting ended with closing statements from the executive candidates. 

There is another executive debate planned for Monday at 5 p.m. over Microsoft Teams. The election will be the following day, and the results will be announced later that day. 

@CSchiopota

cs123719@ohio.edu