Photo provided via @thegardentwins on Twitter.

Tunes with Tate: My Family Rates 'Kiss My Super Bowl Ring' by The Garden

The avant-rock band The Garden was created in 2011, consisting of twin brothers Fletcher and Wyatt Shears from Orange County, California. They were only 17 years old when they decided to start making music, and their band name comes from their desire to keep their music evolving and growing. Their first album was released in 2013, titled The Life and Times of a Paperclip and have since released three others: Haha in 2015, Mirror Might Steal Your Charm in 2018 and, most recently, Kiss My Super Bowl Ring in 2020. They have also released several EPs.

Each of the two brothers also have their own side projects: Fletcher’s is called Puzzle, and Wyatt’s is called Enjoy. Puzzle has released 12 albums since 2013, and Enjoy has released nine since 2012. In addition, they’re both models and have been in campaigns for brands such as Ugg, Yves Saint Laurent, Balenciaga and Hugo Boss.

After sexual misconduct and assault allegations against several different bands signed to their previous record label, Burger Records, they made a statement on Instagram saying they will “be cutting all ties with Burger Records forever.” They had left the label prior to these allegations and signed to Epitaph Records in 2015. Despite attempts to salvage what remained of the label, Burger Records shut down in July 2020. 

In this day and age, I feel it’s extremely important for anyone, a celebrity or not, to speak up in support of survivors of sexual violence. To condemn the actions of Burger Records and the bands signed to them that were accused is not something to take lightly. I personally am far more interested in listening to someone’s music, watch their movies or have any type of relationship with a person if they are outspoken about these types of things, and for The Garden to do so is very respectable.

The two brothers have also been open about their fashion choices. In an interview for VICE, they both delved into their thoughts regarding style. Fletcher, in particular, said, “I’ve always just worn clothing I like. If I like it, it doesn’t matter if it’s chick clothes or guy clothes. I'll wear it.” They both say their styles are pretty similar, share clothes often and have been experimenting with both clothing and makeup since around 2009 or 2010. Given how controversial fashion can be when people go outside what is considered ‘normal’ for someone based on their gender identity, it’s nice to see people who don’t care about the opinions of others and wear what makes them happy. 

Going into listening to this album knowing it was more punk rock, I had mixed feelings about what I anticipated my family would have to say about it. I didn’t anticipate my mom enjoying it, but I thought my brother and dad might like it a little more. Here’s what they ended up saying about it: 

Mom: My apologies to this artist — not my thing. Too loud. I don’t think this is an age thing. I just can’t take this kind of noise. 2 out of 10 for me.

Dad: That’s definitely expression, but I can’t appreciate it. Way too spastic for my taste, and not what I consider music. Most definitely not my thing. Would never listen to it. 0 out of 10.

Brother: Not very good. Would not listen to this. Definitely not my style. No texture. 2 out of 10.

This album is not for me. It’s a little too intense for my liking but I understand the appeal. Maybe I just wasn’t in the right headspace to be able to appreciate it as intended by The Garden when I listened to it, but it also just isn’t within my go-to genres. Regardless, the Shears brothers seem like pretty cool people, so I encourage anyone to check out Kiss My Super Bowl Ring and the rest of their music.

Tate Raub is a freshman studying strategic communication at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Tate? Tweet her @tatertot1310.

Tate Raub

Opinion Editor