Ohio volleyball players celebrate a scored point during the game against Kent State on Thursday, November 7, 2019, in The Convo. Ohio won the match 3-0.

Volleyball: Numbers to know from Ohio's sweep over Miami

After a tough loss to Eastern Michigan on Monday, Ohio (6-5, 6-5 Mid-American Conference) has redeemed itself. The Bobcats looked like their usual selves Friday as they battled hard and swept the Miami RedHawks 3-0 (25-23, 25-21, 25-22) in Oxford. Even when they pulled ahead, the Bobcats didn’t slow down, which was the key to their success. Here are the numbers to know from Ohio’s 3-0 win against Miami:

9

For the ninth time this season, Lauren Park has hit for 10 or more kills in a single match. Park’s performance Friday at Miami (7-7, 7-7 MAC) was spectacular as she finished the match with 18 kills. Not very many teams have been able to stop her powerful swing this season. Already totaling 155 kills in 11 matches, Park is on track to earn over 200 kills in her junior season. 

11

The Bobcats have won 11 sets by three points or fewer this season. Two of these sets came on Friday, where Ohio snuck past Miami by two points in set one and three points in set three. Although all three sets Friday were close, when it came down to it, the Bobcats looked like the better team. They played a lot more in sync and with a lot more rhythm than the RedHawks, and in the end, it paid off. 

21

With 21 days left until the MAC Tournament, Ohio needed its win against Miami. Due to the altered schedule as a result of COVID-19, only the top two teams from the MAC East and West can go to the tournament. Ohio is sitting at third in the MAC East, and Kent State is sitting in second place at 11-4. 

The Bobcats have some more work to do in order to secure a spot in the tournament. If they play in their next matches like they played tonight, it may be enough to get them a spot in the tournament. 

@molly_burchard8

mb712319@ohio.edu