About 800 students received their diplomas at Fall Commencement on Saturday, Dec. 14, 2019. (FILE)

OU announces in-person commencement for class of 2020 graduates

Ohio University announced Tuesday there will be an in-person commencement ceremony for all 2020 graduates Sept. 5. 

Previously, all spring 2020 commencement ceremonies were postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic and public health recommendations for large gatherings. The fall 2020 commencement was hosted virtually.

Both fall and spring graduates are invited to the in-person ceremony, according to a university press release. 

The date falls on Labor Day weekend and coincides with OU’s first home football game of the season, which is Sept 4. 

“We are very excited to welcome our 2020 graduates back to Athens this fall so we can properly commemorate their great accomplishments with an in-person commencement ceremony,” OU President Duane Nellis said in the release. “It is our hope that most graduates and their family members will be able to take advantage of the long weekend and enjoy our first home football game against the Syracuse Orange while they’re in town.”

Details will be continually released to the graduates in the coming weeks. The official invitation and RSVP link will be sent to the class of 2020 through Catmail in June. 

@CSchiopota

cs123719@ohio.edu