Ohio’s Jason Carter (#1) pushes toward the basket during the Bobcats’ game against Akron on Saturday, Feb. 2.

Men's Basketball: Jason Carter to transfer back to Ohio

There’s no place like hOUme. 

That’s how former Ohio and Xavier basketball player Jason Carter feels. After transferring from Ohio after his redshirt sophomore season, Carter went west to Xavier. But now he wants to end his college career where it started. 

Carter will play out his final year of eligibility as a Bobcat after transferring back to Ohio this week. The news was first reported by Stadium’s Jeff Goodman. Carter played in 21 games for the Musketeers this season and averaged 5.5 points and six rebounds per game. 

Carter’s return reinforces Ohio’s chances of repeating as Mid-American Conference champions. Carter is a skilled, well-rounded player and at 6-foot-8 gives Ohio another big presence inside. During his time in Athens, the Johnstown native averaged 15.6 points and 6.4 rebounds, those totals would have been good enough for second and third respectively on Ohio’s squad this season. 

It’s clear that Ohio coach Jeff Boals wants to keep the Bobcats on their meteoric rise. In just his first season, he got Ohio back to the MAC Tournament. In his second, he led the Bobcats to a conference tournament title and their first NCAA Tournament berth since 2012. It’s fair to say that expectations will be even higher as he enters year three. 

@JL_Kirven 

jk810916@ohio.edu