Sydney Leckie takes a shot during the game against Toledo on October 22, 2017. The Bobcats lost 2-1. (Abigail Dean | For The Post)

Soccer: Ohio loses crucial game on the road 2-1 against Miami

Ohio’s losing streak extended to three games Thursday after a 2-1 loss to Miami at Bobby Kramig Field in Oxford.

The Bobcats knew they needed a win to stay in the picture for the Mid-American Conference Championship game and hoped a win against the RedHawks could get them back on track. Miami had other plans. A goal scored in the first 90 seconds by Miami’s Kristina DeMarco put the RedHawks ahead early but the Bobcats weren’t going to take that goal sitting down. After 35 minutes, Ohio finally responded with a goal by Carsyn Prigge.

Ohio (2-5, 2-5 MAC) finished the first half with a tie game and had the momentum to take the lead, but Miami stole that chance away. A goal from Desiree Grubbs at the 53:57 mark put the RedHawks up 2-1.

Ohio struggled to find success as Miami shut down every attempt to tie the game up. Ohio was unable to score again in the second half and Miami (4-3, 4-3 MAC) took the win.

Ohio needed to defeat Miami to have any hope of making the MAC Championship Game. With its third straight loss, Ohio’s chances aren’t looking good. Ohio will head back on the road to face Akron on Sunday. The Bobcats defeated the Zips in mid-March and might have another shot at improving their record. 

@mariamonesii 

mm017019@ohio.edu