Photo provided via Ohio University College of Business.

OU Board of Trustees appoints Hugh Sherman as OU’s 22nd president

The Ohio University Board of Trustees appointed Hugh Sherman as the 22nd president of OU in a virtual meeting Thursday following Duane Nellis’ announcement he would be stepping down as president. 

The Board voted and passed two resolutions at its May 27 meeting. The first resolution acknowledged Nellis will step down as OU president June 30, and the second designated Sherman as the 22nd president of OU. 

Sherman will serve a two-year term beginning June 14, 2021, and ending no later than June 30, 2023. 

Sherman served as the dean of OU’s College of Business for 13 years before stepping down in January, according to a university news release. He also served as the Corlett Chair of Strategy and senior economic policy fellow in the Voinovich School for Leadership & Public Affairs.

“It is a great honor to serve a University and a region that I love and that I have called home for more than 20 years,” Sherman said in the release. “I take this charge very seriously, and I am fully committed to partnering with students, faculty, staff and community members to move Ohio University forward in a way that honors our 217-year history but also positions us for future success.”

Nellis was present at the Board meeting and acknowledged his time as president. 

“It truly has been an honor to serve as the 21st president of Ohio University, and I do think we have made tremendous progress, collectively, all of us working together,” Nellis said. “I do feel like it’s set the framework for a really dynamic and exciting future for this university.”

The transition comes after years of declining enrollment and widespread faculty cuts under Nellis’ leadership. During his term, Nellis also managed the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, and Sherman enters the position as the university plans to open classrooms for in-person instruction this fall. 

Nellis expressed excitement regarding Sherman’s appointment while also expressing his gratitude for the Board. 

“Some of you I’ve been with since the day I walked into a room in Dublin to do an interview as a candidate,” Nellis said. “I continue to care deeply about this university and its success and certainly appreciate the support of the Board.”

As dean, Sherman’s salary was $257,056 in 2020. The university was not able to provide information on what Sherman’s salary will be as president by the time of publication.

@_abbyneff

an251818@ohio.edu

@jackknudson89

jk768518@ohio.edu